Lowering Nitrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Boykin

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey,

My Nitrate it kinda high.... whats the best way to lower it? I was thinking a water change.... but if theres something I can go get from a LFS to do the job I would like to do that. ( I love shoping :D )

But I also what to do whats better for the tank.... everything in it is fine, no bad signs or anything. What would be the best way to lower it?

What is the current ppm level?
How much/often do you feed?
What do you use for filtration and how often do you clean your tank/filters, perform pwc?
Is your water source no3 free?
Is your my info correct (20 gal with one 3" clown, 3 shrimp, and 3 hermits)

yes and no we have...

-Black false clown fish ( 3")
-Pepperment Shrimp(1)
-Hermit Crabs (2)
-Yellow Tang (4")
-Scooter Blenny (3")
-Collector Crab
-Sand Star
-Red Footed Snail
And a very Special Crab :)

* This is a temp. tank until our 120 is ready*

I feed morning and night (as mush as they eat)

Yes, my RO water is no3 Free

PWC every 2-3 weeks, we have a fluval 205(40gl) w/skimmer attachment.

PPm is at 20

We just found a dead sopnge, what was very sicky and hard to remove...so I'm pretty sure thats whats causeing it.

That's a heavy bio-load for a 20 gal. Feeding morning/night is ok but I'd really watch closely to see how quickly it's getting eaten up and reduce if not eaten quickly.

I have gone to a more frequent feeding schedule (3 times a day, morning, when I get home, and just before lights out) but feed so sparingly that it's gone in about 15-30 seconds with no waste and I still keep my no3 in check (0-5 ppm).

Cleaning the fluval weekly and doing pwc (3-5 gal) weekly should keep no3 under control even with the increased bio-load.

Well you have an enormous bioload for a 20 gal. That would be the primary cause most likely. Have you tested for ammo and nitrite? Large PWC's are best at lowering NO3. 25% or more at a time would be best. When doing larger PWC's, you need to be even more careful to match up SG, PH, etc. I would hurry and get the 120 up. That tang is not going to fare well for long in such a small environment, along w/ the water quality issues your seeing only getting worse.

I know he was given to me and thats the best place for him as of now. the one twenty will be ready very soon. thanks for all the help.

How long are we talkin? A few weeks?

JW...if tangs dont get enough room to swim it will lead to health problems.

yeah... we are going to get the light kit next weekend, he/she seems fine but I know it will be happy to be in the larger tank.

Back
Top Bottom