LR and GOODIES

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trotty

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the LFS today and got another peice of LR to put in my QT.

After putting the rock in to the water i realised that i got some sort of sea star. As i am new to SW did i need to acclimatize this little fella?
He's about 6' from tip to tip, 5 legs that are covered in spikes, and brown to black in colour? Is he friend or foe?

Its too late now but would like to know for next time.
It was cured LR, the param are good in the QT as its been set up for about 3 weeks now with establised media.

How long should i leave the LR in this tank before putting it into my display tank?
My display tank has been set up for about 6 weeks, no LR in this tank yet.
Any information on this subject would be great.

Attachments

• imgp0232_661.jpg
    imgp0232_661.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 38
looks like a type of brittle star..
Did you cycle the main tank?
You do not have to QT cured lr you can add it right too the display.

You do not have to QT cured lr you can add it right too the display.

Yep as long as it's cycled. Then, you'll have to add an ammonia source (fish or food) to keep it going. Describe your main tank. What's going on there?

I started the main without LR. Tank has been cycled and has the following:
A pair of pecula clowns,
A Royal dottyback,
A Zebra Gobby
and 2 Peppermint Shrimp
No LR in this tank as yet.

I took the Brittle star back to the LFS for a credit.... Bonus!

Another thing, will i get any fluctuations that i have to watch for when i add the LR to the main tank?

Oh its too late now, but was the star friend or foe?

Add your rock one piece at a time. My personal threshold is 10lbs. Wait two weeks before adding another. Do not add a piece the same time you do filter maint. or water changes. As any "good" aquariest always keep an eye on your nitrous cycle when making ANY changes.

The star has the potential to be a problem. They have been known to take small fish IF not fed enough food. That was a black brittle star. The price can fluctuate a couple of bucks depending on color. They can lean towards being aggressive and they are not totally safe. The serpent stars are much more docile and more trusting with other fish. They are cool to watch because they will sniff out chunks of food on the bottom where they literally take it from the mouthes of fish and other inverts.

That was exactly what my LFS said about the star!
it was put into thier main tank with large fish so it wouldnt bother anything.

I'm happy i diddnt try and keep it now!

thanks for your time and info, greatly appreciated. :)

I knew it was a good idea to QT the LR first!

Got some more good/bad news...

Great looking rock, heaps of wildlife, lots of benificial algie growth and now for the punch line i've heard clicking noises comming from my tank.

what are the possible suspects other thatn mantis shrimp?

Only other things, pistol shrimp, or possibly a PH or snail or other equipment tapping the glass. Is the clicking all the time?

No the clicking is totally random. I hear it at night because the tank is next to the lounge while watching TV. I might hear 1 click and nothing all night, and other nights i might hear 2 or 3 cliks in a row and then nothing. Most was a double click and then 5 minutes later another couple of clicks and then nothing.

I dont think its equipment. I added some snails to the tank about the same time as the LR.

Any other ideas?

Back
Top Bottom