Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-04-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
LR and tiny bugs

Hi, I'm new and completed the cycle about 2 weeks ago. I have a 40gl tank with about 14lb of LR, 4 turbo snails and 12 hermit crabs. Before a 25% water change I had 3 damsels, a yellow tangs, a salfin tang, and a clown fish. Until the water change they were all doing well, unfortunately 1 gallon of unchlorinated water was poured in and they all died in about 4 hours. I have not introduced any new fish because I wanted to let the tank cycle a little. Since that time about 2 days ago, we noticed tiny white moving spots on the sides and back of the glass. Could it be ick? None was noticed on the fish. Can ick live without a fish? I not sure what to do, please help!

This is also my first post and look forward to learning from you all!

krystaltolliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 10:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Welcome to AA!

The tiny bugs you are seeing are most likely pods... tiny shrimp-like crustaceans.

As for your tank, I would suggest researching any new fish you want before you buy them. A 40 gallon tank is too small for a tang of any kind, much less two of them. Damsels tend to be very aggressive and territorial and many hobbiests end up removing them from their tanks. Clownfish are good fish, although some species can be more aggressive than others. They can be kept singly or in a pair, but don't mix different species in the same tank.

What are the levels in your tank right now? (Salinity, PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate)

"Expecting the world to treat you fairly because you are a good person is a little like expecting the bull not to attack you because you are a vegetarian." - Dennis Wholey
kreach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:33 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to michealprater
Very good advice Kreach.
michealprater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 01:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak
What are the other specs on your tank? Do you have a filter? skimmer?

I would suggest more lr and since you are fishless, now would be a good time. At least another 40 to 50 lbs would be good. Be sure to check on fish growth and aquarium sizes before you get any more. Asking the lfs doesn't count.

Keep working at it, it takes a lot of patience for a sw tank.
24 hours? NE! is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com