Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-23-2003, 02:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
LR Can't touch Sand

I've heard rumors that live rock isn't supposed to touch the sand bed. I was wondering what the reasoning was behind this and wanted to know if it was true.

Thanks folks.

-Dan

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:38 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
Good qestion. I'd like to know, because mine is set on the glass with sand poured around and in-between it.

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 02:59 PM   #3

I have never heard that, in fact, I have always heard to put the rock on and in the sand so that some of the inhabitants of the rock will travel to the sand and help aid in making the sand live...Sounds like bogus information to me. The rocks in the ocean are on the sand? hmmm...
Old 05-23-2003, 03:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to nugrad2005 Send a message via Yahoo to nugrad2005
Quote:
The rocks in the ocean are on the sand? hmmm...
That logic is must to simple, it has to be more complicated doesn't it 8)

Do you live in Massachusetts or the New England area? If so join the New England Regional Forum: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/groupcp.php?g=1404
nugrad2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 03:04 PM   #5

Ha Ha your funny..
Old 05-23-2003, 03:25 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
One of the reasons people suggest to elevate the rocks on some kind of support structure (usually pvc pipes) is to keep sand burrowing creatures like certin fish and shrmp from burrowing down under some rocks and causing the rocks to shift. Shifting rocks could fall hurting a fish/coral OR even worse it would strke a glass panel and break it.

Now with that said I dont sit my rock on my bottom glass but more or less bury it down in the sand bed a couple inches.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 09:02 PM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

I think the main reason for either elevating the rock, or sinking it in the sand is to prevent dead areas in the sand bed, where it would be likely for large amounts of hydrogen sulfide to build up. I sink mine in the sand, very close to the glass. In the ocean the rock is also buried under the sand for several feet.

Visit Nature Coast Photography
reefrunner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 09:47 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I think everyone is right, and would like to add I have equally heard it is to keep plenty of surface area open on the sandbed. Not logical to me either!
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2003, 11:34 PM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Just as a personal note from me...my eel is having no difficulty burrowing under the rocks...lifting those that were off the bed...it is becoming quite problematic.
My advice is to consider what type of fish you will have as well. I am still looking for the putty to secure my rocks and corals.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:12 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to ReefRaff Send a message via MSN to ReefRaff Send a message via Yahoo to ReefRaff
If your Looking for puddy then you can find it a www.thatpetplace.com

ReefRaff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sand

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com