Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-13-2004, 02:42 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

That part sucks but you have to wait it out. Getting LR in there helps though. It gives you something to look at.

Old 05-14-2004, 12:32 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

The LR got here and looks great. 24hrs in the tank and I only see 3 crabs....grrr. Lots of other critters...3 brittle stars, 3 snails (unk. type), various worms, 2 diff things I HOPE are feather dusters or anemones (not Aiptasia I hope). I'll get pics if I can....they are very, very small though, about the size of a toothpick.

Old 05-14-2004, 12:35 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
Cool, enjoy!!
Old 05-14-2004, 12:52 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I posted this in another thread, but reposted here since the topic was being covered.

How many pounds total should I have in a 20 gal. 20 lbs doesnt look like much, and is there any reason I wouldnt be able to mix different LR, such as Fiji and Keys? How long after cycle is complete should I wait to add more LR?

Lastly, I have about 10 lbs in my 150 that I bought as an experiment about a year and a half ago (failed experiment because of puffer and trigger). It still has lots of coraline, sponges, and dusters on it, but the tank was treated with cupramine about 6 months ago. Could I do tons of damage to my new LR by moving the old in with it?
Old 05-14-2004, 01:08 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

They say 1 to 1-1/2 pounds per gal. I have a 29 gal tank and just put #40 lbs of live rock and it filled up the tank:
Here take a look
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/c/bckane/LR/
3-Maxi-Jet 1200.../w wavemaker
60 lbs CaribSea Aragamax
50 lbs Keys Rock (liverocks.com)
DIY Sump / Fuge 15 gal
bckane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2004, 01:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
To address you other question. I have fiji and carib. rock in mine. No problem with mixing in fact, I think it looks pretty cool!
Also it your old rock was exposed to copper, I wouldn't use it. It may have traces if copper still in it. IMO, not worth the chance over 10 lbs.
Old 05-14-2004, 03:56 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to Ayesha97 Send a message via Yahoo to Ayesha97
Quote:
Tank is still cycling and no livestock yet. Hopefully the rock will help speed along the cycle. It's got that deserted house look to it
That was prolly the hardest part- I had to tape a picture of a fish to the front to distract me.
Old 05-14-2004, 04:28 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to XXFirefighter Send a message via Yahoo to XXFirefighter
Good luck, I did mine with a high SG and cooler water. I got out 5 mantis, you do not want these in the tank, they will I repeat WILL kill your fish ! I am down now, 1 fire goby, 2 Chromis, and 2 peppermint Shrimp ! I missed one and got 5 with the dips ! I used a 5 gallon bucket and caught the starfish that tried to bail and put them in the good water I had set up. As for the other crabs, they were eating the color off my rock so after 2 weeks I had to do a redip to get them, I got 30 of them in total. No more cool small crabs... worth it though, my rock looks GREAT now !
Old 05-14-2004, 04:54 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well my LFS wants the 3 crabs....maybe they'll give me some store credit. They give me free stuff all the time anyways!
Old 05-14-2004, 05:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via MSN to Nitrate
I have a trigger in my FO tank thats gonna get fresh crab and shrimp for supper as soon as the little buggers start showing up.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com