Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 08-30-2004, 06:48 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak
LR coming tommorow!

I am psyched! I only got about 30# of keys for my 55g. I wanted to start small because a. I am half broke this week and b. it is my first time with LR. I am going to put the rock in my 20 g. QT tank for a few weeks to weed out all the bad guys. Any hints on what to look for? How do I get rid of the bad guys, what are the bad guys, should I somehow feed the inverts at all with algea capsules or whatever? Just basically any hints on starting out. Also what salinity is recommended for inverts (keep in mind I have other fish). Right now my 55 is at 1.0215 but I plan on keeping the rock in my QT for a few weeks so I have plenty of time to gradually raise the level in the 55.

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:50 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak
Also my QT only has gravel... no sand like my 55. Do I need to get sand before tommorow for the rock or will the critters be fine with gravel (for a few weeks atleast).

MattP725 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2004, 06:59 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
congrats on the rock! Mine came last thursday. great stuff!

I did my best to get rid of the crabs. There are still two small ones in my tank but no big deal. I did a brief high salinity dip and that drove out about 6 of em. Zack says don't do it, but as long as it is brief, It shouldnt hurt to much....so I have been told.

What I am worried about is the infamous Mantis Shrimp. I have yet to see one, but from what Zack says, they are not as harmful as the kind that come in Fiji Rock.

If I catch one though. Its OUTTA HERE!

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com