LR coming tomorrow...what should i do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mfed

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey ya'll...my LR from liveaquaria.com should arrive tomorrow sometime around 430...ive been reading some of the other questions and want to make sure from the experienced that my plan of attack is right...
I'll make sure to rinse the LR thoroughly in salt water separate from the tank first, i read that if you use water with a slightly higher salinity, unwanted critters will fall off...is that true??...
then i will put it in my tank with the heaters and powerhead running along with my protein pump and filter. No lights though. does this sound ok??

When should i perform the first water change?? right away??

"tanks" alot guys...this place is such a huge help!! :D
Mike

Ill be sure to post my reactions to the stock i get...hopefully i can take some pictures too

Unless the rock is muddy which I doubt I would not wash it. Sounds like you are using it to start the cycle. If so I would just put it in the tank. Slightly higher salinity water will not run out any creatures. FW will but it will also kill all your good stuff. Running everything but lights sounds like a plan unless you have coralline and want to keep it thriving. Otherwise they are not needed. Do not worry about WC's until your NH3 and NO2 "zeros"

Brenden:
I didnt quite get it. What should I do to keep the coraline thriving? Should I leave the lights on?

yeah leave the lights on for only a few hours each day (3-4). That way the coraline won't die off totally and your diatom bloom, when it comes, won't be massive.

I also got my LR order from liveaquaria today and mine was actually kinda muddy. I had planned to cycle mine in the new tank also, but didn't have my sump plumbing completed before the rock showed up. Now it's setting in a trashcan with a heater and powerhead until I can get my tank ready.

The mud was pretty heavy on what I got. I took some of the broken frags and rinsed them in a bucket of water I took from my smaller tank when I was doing a water change. Turned it brown pretty fast. I figured that I would just put some of the broken rubble from shipping into my 50 gallon. Only a small amount, maybe 1.5 pounds so I figured that it would be ok to just put it straight into the 50. Was really surprised how nasty it was. Should be all good though :)

Back
Top Bottom