LR - Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
Filled the tank (92gal), its still cloudy as I am waiting for the sand to settle. I am going to wait a few weeks for everything to settle and make sure no surprises such as leaks, etc. Planning on ordering LR at first week of May. In addition to the 60-70lbs (dry weight) of dead base rock I currently have, I am planning on ordering from Liveaquaria:

45lbs premium fiji
45lbs good fiji

Does this sound sufficient?

holy Cow I don't know where I got 75 from??

I only have around 125lbs of LR in my 125 and it works well for filtration. Don't got so set on having 2lbs per gallon that you end up with a rock tank. You need to aquascape the tank so you have room for corals and fish to swim..
Post some pics when it comes in..

I've got 200# in my 125 (about 10 of rubble in the sump) and there's plenty of swimming room, and hiding places for the fish.

thats nice... Not all rock is the same size and shape, some rock is very dense and one soccer ball size piece could be 20-25 lbs. My rock was not very dense so 125lb filled the tank. I am just trying to point out that it is not set in stone that you "Need" 2lbs per gallon to have a stable tank. 1lb per gal is a good min IMO.. If you like more rock then go for it..
Again there are many ways to do things in this hobby, just pointing that out.

Thanks all. I am going to place the order in about 2 weeks. Don't think the tank will be ready any sooner.

Seaham made a good point. That`s why some times you cant go by the weight because 100 lbs of fiji,Tonga,Marshall Island LR will not be the same. Some rock can be very dense while some can be very porous and light. Surface area of rock is more appropriate. I want to see some pics also.

Back
Top Bottom