Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-20-2010, 09:48 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

LR hitchhikers - What's good & what's bad?

I've been watching my LR since I put it in Monday afternoon and looking for critters and such. Last night after the moon lights came on I noticed a tiny "shrimp like" creature moving very fast over a small territory of sand and rock. Almost clear and moves like the tasmanian devil. This morning I noticed two critters with legs along most of it's body and two long antenae. Almost clear again and they moved slower than my first sighting. Both are about the same size approx. 1/4". Also I have some "feather duster" type of creatures, reddish in colour with a cream coloured base. One small one dropped to the sand and is "dug in there". The other is larger about an 1" long and this morning I can't find it. I'm assuming they can move. I've also found a few of these in the smaller size on the rock in my refugium. Should these stay?

I've been told that most inhabitants are good for the tank however I'm not sure what is good and what I should look to remove. I'm going to remove as much of the decay as I can with my first PWC in a couple of days. Thanks...

Steve

Old 10-20-2010, 09:54 AM   #2
Fish R friends, not food!

Here is a good link for identifying hitchers. Hitch Hikers

spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:59 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

the first shrimp like organisms sound like amphipods, good to have

the first feather duster sounds like a coco worm or a christmas tree worm, but never heard of them moving before.

the others i dont know of, though im sure someone else will chime in and answer
Old 10-20-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My mistake. It's still there. It just retracted for the night. Sweet.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com