LR @ LFS...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sumphead

Aquarium Advice FINatic
LR, LFS, and a few other acronyms I'd like to add but it would be in poor taste.
-OK, So I've been eyeing some beautiful fiji LR at my LFS. I saw them unload the box into the tank last April and it just hasn't sold. It was absolutely gorgeous but pricey at 8.99 per lb. Every visit to the store I would look at all the life on it and just gawk. About two weeks ago they marked it down to 6.99 per lb. I was primed! Perfect, I would pay a little more then internet order but would be getting great rock and not having to worry about dye-off. (2 miles from home). I went in today to buy it and it was DEAD! almost all white. So I asked the guy what happened to it. He first told me it was different rock (which i knew better). So I asked him if he was going change the sign that read "Curing since 4/03". He says well it's not different rock, it was just pulled out and turned over. TOTAL B.S. There was absolutly no living coraline on it top or bottom. Grrrr! :x

So after a long story my situation is this. I was set on Fiji, now I will more than likely order online. But I never given much consideration to aquacultured rock. I will probably want 60lbs of live and 40 lbs of base rock. Maybe 50/50. I can probably justify around $300 without being fed to the fish (yes, i'm married). Any suggestions there?

Pros/cons of aquacultured? Dye-off issues with mail order?

Right now I just have sand and water so curing in the tank is fine, I have patience. err, kind of. I will continue setting up my sump/fuge. Also, is there a problem with kicking off my cycle before adding LR? Meaning is it going to be problem if I add LR with an ammonia/nitrite spike while balancing my bacteria?

TIA-for answers and patience in reading this.

Aquacultured rock will be more dense than the Fiji rock. Other than that, it's fine and will look good. You will have die off when you order the rock online because it's out of the water for a while. You'll experience more die off as the rock cures and the ammonia/nitrite spikes. However, if you are patient, you will eventually have rock that looks as good, if not better, than the rock you were drooling over at the LFS. You could kick off the cycle before adding the rock, but there really isn't any reason to. I don't think it would shorten the total cycle time by enough to make any real difference. Remember...nothing good happens fast in a reef tank. You could, if patience in one of your virtues :mrgreen: , even go 60/40 on the LR and base rock ratio.

I haven't ordered any rock online, but the rock we used to get at the store from our wholesaler didn't look too great when it came in. The thing about LR is that the organisms that survive shipping and the cycle will grow as long as proper conditions are met. You can start out with a spot of coraline the size of a dime and it'll eventually cover the whole tank. My coral tanks didn't show any coraline growth for several months. Then, almost overnight, I couldn't keep it scraped off the front glass...growing like weeds in the garden. If you haven't already, check out the retailer reviews here...there should be some reviews in there on some of the online LR dealers. We also have a member...Zack...who is selling LR. I can't remember the name of his company at the moment though.

Yeah, i've checked out most of the posts and watched Zack sales a lot. I'm thinking mail order is the way to go. I just want some more info. Like how much a difference the more dence aquacultured makes. i.e. less rock per lb. how bout pics? can someone send or post pics of natural and cultured?

Off the top of my head (and there isn't much there anymore :mrgreen: ), I'd say the aquacultured rock is 40% more dense than really good Fiji. If I were you and had the LR budget you have, I'd buy one 44lb box of really good Fiji rock and make the rest of it base rock. The stuff they call honeycomb rock looks really good after a few months in the tank. I set up a 180 reef a while back and I put in about 200lbs of base rock and topped it off with 75lbs of decent looking LR. All the base rock looks great now after about 6 months...you can't tell which was which anymore. Another thing is a lot of the rock will be hidden since it's holding up the pile...no point in spending the $$ to put top quality LR there. JMHO. Sorry, I don't really have any pics because the rock in my tanks here is all mixed up and you can't tell what is what by looking at it. Really the best way to go if you can is to put some of each in there...that way you have a greater diversity in the organisms that will grow on it. Maybe you can pick up a couple of pieces of AQ rock from somewhere to go with the Fiji.

Thanks a bunch Mr. J. I'm thinking of either livrocks.com or reeferrocks.com (which i have heard good things as of late) for about $200 worth of a 50/50 mix and then order the 44# of fiji from marinedepot. sound good?

This is what I'm thinking of doing as far as my base rock and LR setup goes in my 150gal tank. I'm going to build a 2inch high and 45 inches long pvc pedestal across the middle of my tank and place the base rock on and around that. That will give me good water circulation and hiding spots for my critters. Of course I'll plant LR on top of the BR, I should be able to cover most of the pedastal w/ the rock. I've seen this done in many tanks, it gives the appearence of more rock for the $$$.

Just thought this would be a good idea for you, reefnewb (I'm new also)

Hey Zack Ol' buddy o'mine if you chance across this feel free to send a quote at your leisure to indianapolis (IND) :D

reefnewb,

Just a thought ~ if you're still considering aquacultured, check out TampaBaySaltwater.com. I'm fairly certain that they ship their rock *in water* - so there is very minimal die off. They get rave reviews about the amount of life on the rock. One thing to be careful of w/aquacultured LR is that it's also pretty infamous for the amount of unwanted hitchhikers that tag along (mantis shrimp, guerilla crabs, etc.). Just be prepared to look for and remove these critters before placing the rock in your tank.

HTH,

Just a question, but when you order rock online, do you pick pieces or do you just say I want 40# of it? Would you get one 40# boulder or 40# of small things?

Depending on the vendor, you can specify what size pieces you prefer. Many etailers label their large rocks as *premium* or *show* pieces, and tag on an extra cost. If you're ordering LR online, I would strongly suggest you call and talk to a live person, rather than just placing the order through the net. Some places are more flexible/helpful than others.

Thanks reeflady. I have checked them out because of a recent post on here. The rock does indeed look good. I'll weigh my options make a few calls and make a decision in a day or two. Until then keep the advice rolling!

A quick high salinty bath before placing the rock will chase out all the critters right?

I was Extremely happy w/ my 44 Lbs. of LR from www.marinedepotlive.com (149.99 w/ shipping)
Lots of coralline and lots of other critters. ps. I have no association with them :!: The fish, mushrooms, anemone, and shrimp I bought afterwards, I was also extremely happy with. I'd give them a 9.5

Back
Top Bottom