Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-06-2003, 04:17 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

LR/LS and puffers

Ok please excuse another opinion question ...

We have our 75 gal tank set up. Has about 3-4 in of Araganoite sand and reef mix. We have the wet/dry running and all is good.

We are considering seeding the sand with some live sand and getting about 30-40 lbs of live rock. I worry with the current dog puffer and the porcupine puffer I want will make the LR and LS a waste of money. I might be trying to do too much. Does anyone know if you can keep LR and LS healthy with puffers in the tank? We will keep the bio balls until more LR is added but I really don't know if that will happen. I just think the LR would give the tank a nice look.

We saw some nice base rock at hirock.com that we might try too.

I think I am obsessing a bit but I don't want to waste money if I don't have to. I think I could be happy with the wet/dry and no LR but I really like the looks.

Also, the sandbed is not real deep but will the 4in be maintainable with no manual substrate cleaning. We might try some critters but the puffers have a bad rap with clean up crews ...

Any thoughts?

Old 10-06-2003, 05:45 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Re: LR/LS and puffers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellisz
We are considering seeding the sand with some live sand and getting about 30-40 lbs of live rock.
Deffinitly a good idea on the LS. See if there are any fellow reefers in your area that might be willing to offer you a few scoops from their system.

Quote:
I worry with the current dog puffer and the porcupine puffer I want will make the LR and LS a waste of money. I might be trying to do too much. Does anyone know if you can keep LR and LS healthy with puffers in the tank?
Absolutly. There's no problems that I can think of.

Quote:
I think I am obsessing a bit but I don't want to waste money if I don't have to. I think I could be happy with the wet/dry and no LR but I really like the looks.
Strive for what you want. Remember that patience is the most important factor in this hobby. Get your tank stable and you happy with its appearance before you start adding fish.

Quote:
Also, the sandbed is not real deep but will the 4in be maintainable with no manual substrate cleaning. We might try some critters but the puffers have a bad rap with clean up crews ...
With a 4" DSB you won't need any manual maintenance. The pods and such that live in the DSB will keep it from clumping and the bacteria will handle all the waste the tank produces (as long as your tank isn't over stocked... puffers are messy eaters, keep that in mind) puffers do like to munch on snails and small crabs, but the pods and very small critters that live in the LS and LR will be ok, its just snails and crabs that the puffers may make lunch out of.

Old 10-06-2003, 05:58 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks Billy. My puffer is in a 38 gal well established tank right now. He is in there with a percula, 1 turbo snail and some giant snail. Not sure of the name on the last one. We got the snails to help with an algae problem. With the UG, CC substrate, PH and 9 year old set up, algae is pretty common in our tank.

We are in no hurry to get the puffer and clown into the big tank. I figured LR and LS would be a good addition before the tank fully cycled. Easier now than later.

I have been debating on the LR for a week now Now I just need to buy some.

BTW, from someone that has never ordered LR before, when I spend $150 and the box comes what should I expect? 3-4 good pieces or more? We really like the looks of the Key rocks from liverocks.com but I read they are more dense than say Fiji rock so you get less rock for your money. The color looks awesome though ...

Tags
puffer, puffers

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com