LR on the DSB and Hydrogen sulfide

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mulron

Aquarium Advice Activist
While cleaning up/battling some brown algae I found that the back wall of my tank doesn't have enough flow to it. I also realized that my LR is ontop of my DSB. There are a few pieces that touch the bottom for support but since this is the first time I'm using a DSB, I never thought the area under the rock would become anaerobic. After reading a bunch more about it, I still want to move some of the rocks away from the glass. However should I more more rock into the DSb at this point or use some pvc pipe to help "lift" the rock out of the DSB thus lessening the chance for Hydrogen sulfide/anaerobic areas? or should I be ok? if the rock went anaerobic how long does the sulfide take to dissapate in the tank?

I have looked at many of the tanks in the picture area and most have many rocks ontop of the DSB, but I want to double check before I proceed with anything.

1 minor note since the tank was done cycling, I dropped a partial cleanup crew in and also a clownfish. So keep that in mind.

Also about 1 week ago I did a massive cleaning of the tank and moved the rocks around a bunch, didn't have any problems there. Rocks are stable since they are resting against the few rocks that touch the bottom and a few pointer edges are on the back wall.

Am I over-reacting?

pictures might help so I'll go do that.

I bury all my rocks down several inches into the sand bed. I do this for support as just siting th erocks on top of the sand bed can be disaster if/when you get something that likes to dig in the sand.

The lower depths of your sand bed are going to be anerobic anyway so burying your rock has little to do with keeping those areas oxygenated.

Back
Top Bottom