LR or dead rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Frogspawn

Aquarium Advice Freak
Is it possible for LR to lose all its beneficial bacteria? And if so how would i know this happened? i have about 30lbs and its been in my tank for quite some time now just sitting there with nothing on it. i keep the Sg at 1.023 and ph as close to normal as possible lighting is off most of the time. i will say i don’t do water changes because theres nothing in the tank.

is this LR still considered LR or dead rock? :confused:

enlarged font

Is it possible for LR to lose all its beneficial bacteria? And if so how would i know this happened? i have about 30lbs and its been in my tank for quite some time now just sitting there with nothing on it. i keep the Sg at 1.023 and ph as close to normal as possible lighting is off most of the time. i will say i don’t do water changes because theres nothing in the tank.

is this LR still considered LR or dead rock? :confused:

If there is nothing in the tank than the waste source is not producing ammonia that feeds the beneficial bacteria. You need a source for the bacteria. I would suggest putting a few flakes in the tank to be that ammonia source. Otherwise your bacteria will die off.

So, I guess I have dead rock lol. I guess i can order a small amount of LR and seed it, that should do the trick i would think

Live Rock is just a term used to label the rock after the bacteria has colonized it. You don't need live rock to turn base (dead) rock into live rock. Your cycle and time will take care of that. Adding live rock will speed that process up.

what i have was not base rock (well i guess it is now) its just been sitting in my tank waiting for me to move to my current place. i have done no water changes so all the goodies must have died off so i called it "dead rock". i going to order about 25 more pounds off line in a month or two. i spent a little money on my new set up and GF not liking the idea of putting more into it.

Back
Top Bottom