Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-08-2004, 01:12 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

LR question

I just set-up my tank, Still adjusting SG etc... I was hoping to cycle with about 20-25lbs of LR. Liverock.com is out of Key's which is what I wanted, won't be available for a month, but will have gulf rock available this week.
Question, Should I/ Would you?

Cycle with a shrimp or two and Wait for the key's ?

Get the Gulf instead ?

Order from somewhere else ? Where?

The tank currently has DSB, and 60lbs base rock.

Old 02-08-2004, 06:54 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

How big is that tank?
How much LR do you want to end up with?

I got 60 pound of the keys and it's quite porous rock. Very nice stuff, though it has little coralline to start with. I haven't seen the gulf so I can't really compare it other than by the pictures on their site.

Based on what others have said about the life they've seen on the keys rock I think I would order the gulf rock and cycle the tank with a shrimp or two while waiting. Then after a fw or carbonated water dip to remove pest hitchhikers, put your rock right in the tank. You will probably get a spike, but hopefully you'll enough bacteria in the sand and base to make it short lived. That should help preserve the beneficial hitchhikers.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2004, 07:02 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I like the pics of the Keys rock but most of what I have is gulf rock. It is very nice stuff. I don't think you will be disappointed. I did get some keys base rock and I really can't tell the difference.

HTH
Old 02-08-2004, 07:26 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would put a few damsels in now order the gulf when it gets here do a dip and add to display. I don't like damsels so I would not get attached. I noticed your csl moon-lite fixture I run one of those also they are nice lights, and if you have any problems with your sea-clone I have the 150 and know a few modifications.
Old 02-08-2004, 08:59 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Without bringing out the ethical debate on whether or not it is okay to cycle a tank with live fish, I would just mention that if you chose to go that route, getting the damsels out of the tank if they are not wanted can be a real pain in the @#$.I think you are best off using a shrimp or just using the rock to cure the tank.
Old 02-09-2004, 03:32 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Believe it or not guys, I cycled a 60g FO tank with a 2" Harlequin Tusk & a 2" Juv Annularis or Blue Ringed angel. Everything worked out well and they were part of the eventual population of the tank.
Old 02-09-2004, 09:28 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Just because you CAN doesn't mean you should. Have you read How to cycle your tank with out the use of fish?

The first paragraph explains the rationale for fishless cycling.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Believe it or not guys, I cycled a 60g FO tank with a 2" Harlequin Tusk & a 2" Juv Annularis or Blue Ringed angel. Everything worked out well and they were part of the eventual population of the tank.
I am glad that you did not have any problems, however, I would like to state for any new peoples sake, please do not cycle a tank with fish.. Especially $100 worth of show fish. Sometimes we want to see things happen immediately and in this hobby there is no such thing without consequinces. The cycle period in an aquarium is quite stressful and fatal to some fish.. I have personally talked with many customers at the LFS that bought a bunch of fish only to find that 90% died within the cycle.. Be kind. Save the fish for last...It is possible to enjoy the tank while it is cycling.. There is so much going on even as small as it may seem..The fishless method is best..IMO
Old 02-09-2004, 10:18 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your right, I agree. Bad on my part for even mentioning this. Newbies, please do not cycle your tank with fish as the other members have stated.
Old 02-09-2004, 07:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

The Tank is a 72 BF, 85lbs of rock will start things off, I have 60 lbs of base and am looking to add 25 lbs of LR.

I think I've decided to go with the Gulf Rock from Liverocks.com I'm going to get a shrimp or two tomorrow, start that going and add the LR when it arrives hopefully early next week.

Thanks for all the advice...........

Mike

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com