LR Question?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

I am going to be setting up a FOWLR by the end of the year. Right now I am in the reading phase.

I have learned a lot about LR but I do have one question I have not found.

How do you all secure all the LR when it is piled up? I was just wondering if a piece came loose? Is it just to heavy to fall?

Thanks

everyone I know just stacks it carefully.. You do a lot of wiggling and moving and swapping of rocks till it looks the way you want.. It can take many hours and bottles of beer to reach the right look..
I try and keep all big pieces at the bottom.. you want a good foundation.

Thanks A lot everyone. I am not planning on just jumping into this because now I am a freshie guy so I am reading..., however sometimes I have one the books dont cover. I have to say that I posted on here about a month ago and said I was ready to go S/W ASAP. After all your replies I decided I would listen, read, and wait. Dont worry..Fishless Cycle

When I am ready I will post step by step with pics to help newbies. I have seen alot of this on the F/W side of AA and it helps alot.

Thanks Again

After all your replies I decided I would listen, read, and wait. Dont worry..Fishless Cycle

Awesome! That would be great, to have a step-by-step pictorial.

Welcome Mike to the saltie side. I commend you for waiting and researching, but I'd guess you FW experiences have helped you understand the value of patience. Believe me, there'll be times when you will move a bit fast and take some chances - I think we all have at some point. But you're on the right track.

What sized tank you thinking about? And as you read, maybe you'll not discount that reef just yet. :wink:

At the smallest a 55 depending on where my apt. is at that time. My lease is almost up so I want to get in somewhere where a few tanks is ok.

You are 100% correct about where I learned patience in this hobby.

I would love to do reef, it just seems like to much to start. Cant I start with LR, then after upgrade lighting and go reef? Or do you need a predrilled tank? See, have not got to reading about reef tanks yet. Sometimes I will be at the LFS dreaming at all the coral, fish...Then I look at LR for 8$ lb and I wake up before I look further.

Cant I start with LR, then after upgrade lighting and go reef?

Yep, just be aware of the tank inhabitants as you get there. Reef safe critters. And yuo can always add more rock later. I like 1.5 lbs per gallon. Others believe in more - up to 2lbs per. But still, check out 4x65 pc lighting or T5s (I have no experience with these, but folks keep talkin' about'm) from the start.

Or do you need a predrilled tank?

Nope.

Then I look at LR for 8$

You can do a 50/50 mix of LR and base rock. The base will easily become live in time, and sells for a whole lot less.

You can also buy LR online for pretty cheap. The only catch is getting a good supplier with cheap shipping! :) I know it will cost you less then $8 per pound. I started off with about a pound of LR per gallon then I added to it as I went. The best advice I can give you is pace yourself and RESEARCH everything you buy because things that seem to cheap to be true probably are not the best thing to invest in. Get a good skimmer, some LR and sand, and just let it cycle with a piece of shrimp. Then add fish slowly. Like Austinsdad said choose your fish carefully and you can always upgrade your lighting and go reef. Just be careful because its one heck of an addiction! HTH

Back
Top Bottom