Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-14-2005, 01:53 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
JPloman - are ur bioballs under water?

Old 04-14-2005, 01:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPloman
I have bioballs and have had no problems. My sump (bioballs) as been set up for like 4 months now. Prior to that I had all kinds of problems...
What kind of problems? The LR/bioball topic refers to nitrate levels, for the most part.

Livestock I added:

1 skunk cleaner. 12 hermits: red, scarlet, blue. 15 or so assorted snails. Discosomas, Ricordia, Rhodactis mushroom corals, chaetomorpha (sump), 1 feather duster, Montipora digitata, Montipora capricornis, Montipora hispids. assorted zoos, Xenia, Kenya tree coral, green Sinularia, green star polyps, branching hammer coral, bubble coral, Devil's hand leather. Yellow chromis, purple firefish.

Hitchhikers: the usual suspects :crabs, bristles, urchin, mantis shrimp (now in exile in mantis tank)

List of possible/likely newcomers:

Feather duster. PJ cardinal, Bangghai cardinal, Firefish goby, Clownfish, Neon goby, Yellow watchman goby, Orchid dottyback. Various corals.
midiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Bioballs have been succesfully used for years and I dont think anyone here is saying that they are EVIL. What many of us are saying is that there are other options that equal or even outperform the benefits of the bioballs. In my opinion even if the bioballs dont cause high nitrates in my system I would still upgrade to LR to help with nitrification, denitrification and refuge for pods to grow. Of course this is just MHO

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 02:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

My bioballs are completely submerged. Prior to bioballs I had nitrate problems they were really outta control. That led to Cyanobacteria and hair algae. Those problems have gone away. I don’t know if it because of the increased surface area for bacteria or something else, but I do know there is a major difference.

I agree that using lr rubble would increase the pod population, but I do not think it is worth the money to invest in the lr rubble on a new set up.

I think if you went with bioballs for a new system then slowly added lr rubble and removed the bioballs, you would have the same effect and it would not mean dropping tons of money on lr rubble in the beginning when things like skimmers and lr are an issue.

I personally would rather see someone who is new to the hobby learn the joys of the tank before seeing how expensive it is. If I had known how much money I was going to drop on my tank, I more than likely would never have started it.
Old 04-14-2005, 03:31 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have bioballs submerged in my sump and the biggest problem I have with that theory is that they FLOAT! DUH! I put the trickle plate over top of them to help hold them down so that they stay submerged but they move with the water level.

Join the NJ Reef Club Today! Saving the world's reefs one living room at a time!
MACNA XXI Atlantic City, NJ September 25-27, 2009
Phyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 04:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phyl
I have bioballs submerged in my sump and the biggest problem I have with that theory is that they FLOAT! DUH! I put the trickle plate over top of them to help hold them down so that they stay submerged but they move with the water level.
LOL

I did the same thing.
Old 04-14-2005, 04:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to pearsont74 Send a message via Yahoo to pearsont74
ok...i feel better now.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:27 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to morphviper
No, that's incorrect. It's the very much alive LR rubble (actually, the bacteria in it)that remove the nitrates, and these bacteria do not require high oxygen (in fact, it would kill them).

The statement above, in my understanding says that if it has bacteria it is alive, well I was always under the impression that it took more than bacteria to make it alive, other wise we would have alive bio balls.

I believe I said it depletes the oxygen, which in studies has shown that the lack of oxygen can and will remove nitrates for several reasons. One being the bacteria that eats ammonia and nitrates no longer do their job and produce nitrates so there for eliminating them but also leaving all the work to your lr in the tank. the other is the bacteria that eat nitrates are more abundant. It could be either one depending on how much bacteria you had to start with. Unless these studies that are put out are full of it???

I am not saying the lr rubble won't work, I just don't like the cost and possible side effects when there are other means at a much affordable cost. We all have our opinions.
Old 04-14-2005, 05:33 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
denitrification(nitrate removal) requires anaerobic conditions(lack of oxygen) to work. LR gives this ability deep within its structure
As I said earlier it is lack of oxygen. Bioballs have no place for the oxygen depleted water to go and go through denitrification. LR does not use oxygen per se. As the water travels to the inner parts of the rock it gets depleted of the oxygen and is where the denitrification process occurs.

28gal bowfront
40lbs livesand(bag from LFS), 30lbs live rock(LR.com)
2 O. Clowns
1 peppermint shrimp, 5 red leg hermit crabs,
4 mexican turbo snails, 15 nassarius snails
ricordea mushroom, candy cane coral,
super color polyps, hairy mushrooms
bubble coral, hawiian feather duster
coralife lunar 2x65, HOT magnum canister
10 Gal refugium(chaeto) & seaclone skimmer
RMPD109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2005, 06:09 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Sorry... I got it now...

Edited!

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com