LR rubble - who needs it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spinman

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know many have replaced their B'balls with LR rubble, but I recently read a post (can't remember exact one) in which STEVE said that IF you have ample rock in your main tank, then sump rock is not needed.

So if I start removing my B'balls a little at a time, why replace them with anything? Won't the LR in the main tank just gear up and take care of the extra bio load? Isn't this why we strive to have 1-2#s of LR per gallon?

Seems to me the B'balls and LR may be redundant.

Mike

Steve is correct. If you have say 1.5 to 2lbs LR per gallon, then I would see no need in removing the BBalls slowly.

Some people do not like all that rock in the main. In that case I would add rock to the sump. FWIW I have rock in both places..

I have @1 3/4 lb per gallon in the main, and another 30lbs in the sump...I dont see a problem with having it in the sump if you can afford it and have the room... just more areas for good things to happen... pods and bacteria to help clean your water...

just my thoughts

do you guys pay for LR rubble? I don't know where you guys get that stuff. Not that i'm worried though...i'm really close to 2 lbs/gal in the main.

i got mine from www.hirocks.com

they have a rubble selection... it will take a little time and it will become LR too

just rinse it off well before you add it.

As mentioned, with enough LR in the main, rubble in the sump is not really needed. That said, it can never hurt. You can not go wring by adding LR rubble to your sump or wet/dry. You can move a lot of water through the LR rubble every hour only increasing your bilogical filtration. If you have the space, add some. I was getting mine for free from a LFS that was just throwing it out. I even convinced them to cure it for me in their large curing tanks before giving it to me :lol: . They have since started changing people for it and using it in all of their new in-home SW set-ups (and charging for it) so I got a pretty good deal. I must have about 40lbs between my two tanks...all for free.

Back
Top Bottom