LS question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For the 55 you want 2 MH bulbs. A single MH will cover about a 2' x 2' area. So one just either side of the brace and you're good to go. Or, you could get a 6 bulb T5 unit.

what would you guys use for a 60 gallon light going for a reef tank w/ that brace in the middle? thanks guys for all your input!

edit: also in thinking about getting some LR today (cloudiness is going away from the LS). Im on a budget right now so getting some BR w/ some uncured LR is a good choice?since there is no livestock in the tank atm?

just like cmor said....2 x 250 watt halide fixture or an individually reflected 6 bulb t-5 ho fixture.
btw, what are the dimensions of the 60? 36"?

dimensions is 48x15x17

will the 6 bulb t-5 HO be sufficient for corals and reefs...
i just dont want to be upgrading... id rather have everything that i need now.

edit: so im guessing i need this?
will that be enough light for corals?

yes. just make sure it's an individually reflected fixture....not one large, flat reflector for all 6 bulbs. where are you located?

that's a 4 lamp fixture first of all. and yes, i think it's a single, flat reflector. it seems so because the bulbs are so close together. i can't be sure with that video though.
i would like to stress that you are better served to spend a few extra dollars and buy a well known brand name.

Yes, either of the fixtures Doug pointed you too will be good for corals in your tank. You really need the 6 - 8 bulb T5HO with highly polished, individual, parabolic reflectors above each bulb to get the light output needed for sps coral and clams.

hye skratchiechan...
if u have more budget, why dont u get some refractometer to replace the swing arm hydrometer..???its more accurate then the hydrometer....

i dunno where u can get those in your country but i heard that u can find it from ebay....u will need a refractometer in future in case u need to do hyposalinity....

my lfs has the 48 in aquaticlife fixture (4bulb w/ LEDs) for $330. I was wondering if this is good for corals? I know you guys are saying 6 to 8 bulbs but is this ok?

it's ok if you don't mind limiting yourself.
your just going to have to be careful about what corals you choose.
it's not a bad price for the fixture, although i'm not sure about the quality of those. i've never owned one. they are a relatively new manufacturer.

That's per tank empty volume. For a 60 gallon tank you want 60 - 120 pounds of rock. Pacific coral rock is very light and porous so 1 pound per gallon will give the same or more surface area as 2 pounds of dense Caribbean rock.

I have 37 lbs of LR in there now and seems like there is no more room... how can I add more? build it up?
img_1187435_0_b62bfc254a98e6e9573980413446f751.jpg

Back
Top Bottom