Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-21-2004, 02:38 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I know that they utilize light as a food source, but I didn't realize that they needed that much wattage per gallon. That would explain why the LTA is looking so poorly. It looks like I may be welding that light assembly up a little earlier than I previously thought...like tonight. I still would need to go get another 20W 10000K bulb, wouldn't I? I have planned this light hood pretty meticulously and if I build it tonight, it will be expandable to accommodate just about any size tank you could want.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:44 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Another 20 to 30 watts would help out a lot right now. For what it is worth, I think the LTA is a fairly low-light species. Seabeas and others require like 6 to 8 watts to be happy.

Old 09-21-2004, 02:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

Lando, your advice is well taken. I will go get another light today or tomorrow if the LTA is still alive when I get home.
Thank you very much!
Old 09-21-2004, 05:57 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, I am at home now and the LTA is very dead. I think I figured out what happened. Here where I live, the well water is not drinkable so my wife and I get drinking water in large refillable bottles. We refill them at my mother-in-law's place. After some digging around, I discovered that the water I used on my last water change did not come from the inside faucet. It actually came from the OUTSIDE water hose. I found this out when I put another bottle in the cooler and drank some of it. I used that same water when I did my last water change. I bet there was something in it that made my water quality really bad. The other anemone appears to still be okay. Bizarre...
Old 09-21-2004, 06:40 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry to hear about the anenome. Are you sure its dead, dead? When they expell waste from their oral disc they get all shriveled up for a couple of days. What did it look like? I have been told that when they die, they look like melting ice cream...perhaps a new flavor is in order for Mr. Ben and Jerry. Anyways, if there was any doubt in your mind it is best to get rid of it. A dead anenome can be so toxic it will wipe out very large tanks, not to mention a 10 gal. Probablly a good choice...Lando
Old 09-21-2004, 07:49 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just did a 100% water change and removed ALL of the sand from the tank. I replaced the sand with the coarse gravel I originally had. ALL of the gravel has been thoroughly cleaned. My sal is at 26ppt and pH is about 8.0. The water is a little cloudy, but it should clear up. I put the UGF back in under the coarse gravel. I also kept the same filter media in place for now. The warty anemone (on my LR) opened right up and appears to be okay. The LTA, however, is tightly balled up. When I got home, he looked like complete kaka. The melted ice cream comparison is fairly accurate. The tentacles were an olive green color and were very shrivled. The orange coloration at the base was dull and just didn't look like it originally did. This LTA has been troubled since the day I got it. I never could get it to attach to sand OR gravel. It seemed to take shrimp pieces okay when I fed it, though. I am going to put it in another small (1.5gal octagonal) tank I have for a day and see if it comes back. I doubt that it will. Perhaps the warty anemone knew the LTA was dying and closed up to protect itself. That little warty anemone has lived through a lot. My 3-year-old dumped an entire bottle of dechlorinator in the water when I first got the warty anemone and it lived. It has now been through the trauma of being transplanted from one tank to another as well as being imprisoned with a dying LTA
Old 09-21-2004, 09:12 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like bad news for hte LTA. Not sure it was a good idea to completely empty the tank and wash the substrate. I am afraid that your tank will have to cycle again. It will for sure co through a mini-cycle. Keep an eye on parameters and be prepared to do water changes as needed. What else is in there with the two anenmes? Lando
Old 09-21-2004, 09:30 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Right now there is only the LR and the one warty anemone. The LR has some oysters attached, probably Crassostrea virginica or Ostreola equetis. I kind of want the tank to go through another cycle so it will sort of push the proverbial reset button so to speak. My wife just got back from the store with 10 gallons of distilled and deionized water so I can do the water changes when it does cycle again. I may take a sample of the new water to work and test it for chlorinity before I put dechlorinator in it needlessly.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com