lunar light required?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dragonfisher33

Aquarium Advice Addict
hi i have a 30gal FOWLR tank that i just started. everywhere i look, there's lunar light. is it absolutely necessary for the tank? i have the tank in my room and i'm a light sleeper, so i'm not looking forward to any light in the room when i'm sleeping. i'm still planning out on getting some beginner fish such as clownfish and damsels, and gobies. i will be getting some peppermint shrimps and pistol shrimps. i'm not sure how the lunar light or the lack of, affects these fish

Don't worry, the night lights are for your viewing pleasure. Like you, your tank needs total darkness too! My tank has complete darkness from 10pm until 7am...

Don't worry, the night lights are for your viewing pleasure. Like you, your tank needs total darkness too! My tank has complete darkness from 10pm until 7am...

oh really? i wasn't sure about the lunar light's effect on fish and inverts, but i thought lunar night is supposed helpful for the corals because it mimics the natural moon light reflected on the water surface/penetration. although i don't have corals or anemones yet, i do want to plan things out for the future.

Don't mistake it with actinic light. For instance, I have moonlights come on at 7am, actinics AND whites on at 8am until 5pm then I keep my moonlights on til 10pm just so I can see the tank in the evening! When you have corals that's a bit of a bummer because I work during the weekdays and when the white/actinic go out most corals and anemone close up for the night...

Don't mistake it with actinic light. For instance, I have moonlights come on at 7am, actinics AND whites on at 8am until 5pm then I keep my moonlights on til 10pm just so I can see the tank in the evening! When you have corals that's a bit of a bummer because I work during the weekdays and when the white/actinic go out most corals and anemone close up for the night...

oops noob mistake here. i confused or thought acticnic = lunar light.

Back
Top Bottom