Lunar lights?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Got Water?

Aquarium Advice Activist
I replaced the LED bulbs in my light fixture for the lunar lights yesturday, left them on all night. Today all my fish are freeking-out, like there having a panic attack. Is this because of the lights on, or should I be looking for something else?

I agree, my lunar lights were LEDs.
What kind of lighting system do you have?
What did you replace and with what?
Unless I am missing something, the regular lighting pretty much cancels out the LEDs (or makes them unnoticeable).

highly doubt it's the lunar's, you should be looking elsewhere, or for potential electricity entering the water system.

highly doubt it's the lunar's, you should be looking elsewhere, or for potential electricity entering the water system.

Titanium ground probes are like $15, buy one they are great insurance against voltage leakage. I am always surprised at how many experienced aquarist do not have this simple cheap item, or if even know what they are...

I have a Nova Extreme, 8 T5's with 4 lunar leds. The fixture is only about 6 months old. The leds burned out after about 2 months. I contacted customer service at Currant and was surprised that they sent me some replacement bulbs and new transformer right away. (That's what I put in). The lunar leds had not been on for several months so I thought that might explain my fish's fishy behavior. I still don't know what freeked-out my fish, but 24 hours later everything was back to normal. I'm pleased to know that Currant stands behind there products.

LEDs have a much longer life span than normal lights. You may have had a short or something loose.
919 is right and you should definitely look into a titanium grounding probe. I lost a whole tank to stray voltage from a ph.

As mentioned, LED's have a much longer lifespan. The resistor in your transformer pack wasn't the correct size, or died... which lead to your LED's blowing. That's why they sent you a new transformer with the LED's. New LED's alone would just blow again, they had to get you a new resistor in there as well.

I'm going to try and get a titanium ground probe today. Where would I find one? LFS or home depot? Do I need more than one? (140gal SW)

You only need one. You might be able to find them at home depot, I'm not really sure. Your LFS should have one. If not, I got mine from drsfosterandsmith.com.

You only need one. You might be able to find them at home depot, I'm not really sure. Your LFS should have one. If not, I got mine from drsfosterandsmith.com.

I dont think that Home Depot would carry one, I got mine at my local fish store.

They are not the nicest looking items, but remember you can always throw it into your sump, or HOB skimmer...

Word of caution. If you use a grounding probe, make sure you are plugged into a GFI recepticle or breaker. If it's not, and you have a voltage leak and stick you hand in the tank, you can get electrocuted. DO NOT use 1 without the other.

I have a Nova Extreme, 8 T5's with 4 lunar leds. The fixture is only about 6 months old. The leds burned out after about 2 months. I contacted customer service at Currant and was surprised that they sent me some replacement bulbs and new transformer right away. (That's what I put in). The lunar leds had not been on for several months so I thought that might explain my fish's fishy behavior. I still don't know what freeked-out my fish, but 24 hours later everything was back to normal. I'm pleased to know that Currant stands behind there products.

Were the LED"s dual... (2 per socket).. if so, do you happen to have the part numbers for them?

My new fixture came with deep blue moon lights... I was experimenting earlier with diff colors, and cool white... (white with a hint of blue) looks best, and the fish/nightlife seem the least affected. These blue lunars are too bright too... fish don't act normal at night time, they don't hide and sleep... they just kinda move slowly around the aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom