Macroalgae supplements for MacroAlgae Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Electrobes

Aquarium Advice Addict
If you don't want to read on about the story of why I had a good day skip this paragraph, real important stuff is last paragraph :D - Its about Macro algae supplements that I need with tank specs.

Hey everyone last night I've had a very good lucky day! I went to the LFS because they supposedly had a new shipment today (hoping it was LR) but it wasn't. I did get a very nice piece of base rock though, and the LR shipment comes wensday. My tank is just about cycling (just to give you a point where my tank it). The good part though was I also got a deal on a semi limbless bristle star (think it might be a toger star) for 7 bucks (felt bad for the guy... hope he lives). But the most interesting luck was this... a worker at the fish store was talking about this macroalgae he recieves.. a spaghetti macro aglae I am pretty sure it is. But my friend who knows them very well was with me when I told him I was getting some rock. They were tlaking and the guy was light aww hell I'll give you some, and he went over to his nano tank that he had the algae at and cut off a few pieces and even gave me one! 8O It is beautiful and I had an awsome feeling leaving the store because it was the start of my Macro tank! I was also lucky at cards which was cool :D

Anyway back to the point... I have 2.8 watts of PC lighting (want to get an actinic but no room under hood, and I like the color of the lights as is so no biggie). I have regular aquarium sand of about 2 inches, a 50 pounds in a 45G tall tank. The water parameters are good, 8.3 pH, temp at 80 (but am going to put fans in there), and SG of 1.023. Hardware includes a Filstar XP3, and a 300 watt visitherm marineland heater. What MacroAlgae supplements should I be putting into the tank. It was suggested by my friend "Trace Elements", Iron, and possibly Calcium. Also is there anything else anyone can suggest that would help the growth of macroalgae? Thanks everyone! Oh and here is what my tank looks like thus far, thanks for looking!

I guess one question back at you would be is this to be a stand alone tank or eventually plumbed to the main tank for additional filtration via refugium. Chaetomorpha is one of the more desirable macro algaes and should be a good source for nutrient removal when harvested. The lights are fine although I would suggest bumping the SG a point or two but I would not alter the temp, 80° is fine.

If the tank is to be incorporated into the whole "scheme" then you will not really need to add anything as the main tank will feed the algae pretty much everything it needs by way of nutrient. If a stand alone system, then you may need to suppliment but I think water changes wil still be your best bet. What they will need moreso that "additives" is food. Light alone will not help keep them healthy, they need to have organic nutrient as well. Will there be any animals housed in the tank?

Cheers
Steve

sorry! I forgot to mention any inhabitants.. I will have a valentini puffer (reaches about 5 inches maximum, hopefully a help in trimming some of these plants down), a starfish (hope he lives, got a discount monster discount because he was injured and being picked on), and maybe a crew of some sort (like emerald crabs, and some others, and yes I know a puffer may eat them good but he's hoping that keeping him well fed does the trick). This Tank will be a macroalgae tank only, its made for nothing else. My goal with this tank is to make a reeftank show using macroalgae (basically make a beautiful tank with color like a reeftank has, but using only macroalgae). I have no sump.. this IS the tank.. my filtration is a canister filter (the XP3). I have been researching like crazy as the day draws near as to when I feel the tank is perfectly cycled (meaning restraining from getting anything even is my water and tank perameters are great). Thats why I asked if I should get what my friend suggested... the iron, "trace elements", and calcium. Thanks a alot for reading... please don;t be shy to mention your more facorite algaes or anything with color!

Electrobes said:
I have been researching like crazy as the day draws near as to when I feel the tank is perfectly cycled (meaning restraining from getting anything even is my water and tank perameters are great). Thats why I asked if I should get what my friend suggested... the iron, "trace elements", and calcium.
I would still not suggest any additives, at least not until the macro's are well established and growing quite densely. The water changes will keep up with the trace elements until the macro algae growth becomes quite dense. Even then I would not be in a hurry to dose things. The calcium is always an important element but unless you keep species of halimeda, then the normal routine of water changes should also maintain this. Since there will be animals as well, you're regular feeding routine should also keep up with the needed organic nutrient. As the algae density increases, you may wish to splurge a bit more on the feedings but within reason.

Thanks a alot for reading... please don;t be shy to mention your more facorite algaes or anything with color!
Just be sure to steer clear of true caulerpa species as they will become a problem. Halimeda, Penicillus, Gracilaria and certain brown algaes would be better. Also might want to try incorporating varies colors of coralline as well...

Cheers
Steve

Thanks steve will do. I have seen a couple of interesting algae thus far, but its hard, for some reason, to find specific info on macroalgaes. I guess it good to hear that I don't really need to buy anything though :D - I was ready to buy the iron, trace elements, and iron, but man saving 30 bucks sounds good too, more live rock for moi! Also its good to hear about the feedings being sufficient as well, especially with a puffer, they are a bit messy and like to eat a lot :twisted: Thanks again!

I'm not a big fan of larger water changes unless absolutely neccessary. I think 10-15% weekly would be fine..

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom