Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Macscales Next Tank Planning.

Warning: Tank will probably be built in July, maybe earlier if I get lucky!

Hey everyone! The time has finally come to plan a new tank! I have decided to leave my 20g a FOWLR system, and the 10gs will be my reefs.

Now, I'm having a tough time picking a tank size. I've narrowed it down to either a 40b or a 55g. I'm thinking going FOWLR with this one, I really want fish to be the stars of this show. However, I may go with reef, depending on how many Ebay LED panels I'd need.

What tank do you think I should go with. As I know you guys will probably want me to go check fish for a tank size. I am clueless on stocking.

It's going to be drilled with a 20g long sump. I've never drilled a tank, so if you know a good place to get a reef ready tank, cheap, and with a stand would be great! In the sump, I was thinking 4 compartments. One for the heater, the next for a skimmer/or live rock rubble if I go fowlr, another as a refugium, and the last for a return. I've never done a sump system, so any advice or corrections are welcome.

For flow, would a mp10 or mp20 work?

To summarize the post:
New Tank Planning!
40 or 55?
Sump Help!
Flow?

This will be my first step out of the Nano world, so sorry if I sound stupid! I'd like to thank everyone in advance!

Edit: My areas craigslist is filled with overpriced tanks and advertisements for LFS. Its no good. Trust me. Once in a blue moon do I have a good deal.

Also, the Sarasota/ Bradenton Florida area doesn't have a local reef club. The closest one is up in tampa or lutz, and driving up their that much, isn't something a student can really do.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:25 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

55. Your fish selection opens up quite a bit in a 4ft tank. Since it's a FOWLR you don't need much room for aquascaping and corals.

Old 03-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

The thing is that the wall I want to put it on, or the only wall I can put it on is exactly 4 feet. So It would have to fit flush, tank stand and all.
Old 03-03-2014, 07:49 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

If you even think it may be a reef go 40b, so much easier to work in and you can pretty much get the same fish in a 40 that you can a 55. Mp10 would do fine in either ( May need to supplement if you go reef)
Old 03-03-2014, 08:16 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedsReefs10 View Post
If you even think it may be a reef go 40b, so much easier to work in and you can pretty much get the same fish in a 40 that you can a 55. Mp10 would do fine in either ( May need to supplement if you go reef)

I completely forgot about supplementing. Yeah, I think I'll go with the 40g, it seems to have a better footprint. I want to go FOWLR, just because I want some non-reef safe fish and stuff. Will one Ebay panel work because its FOWLR?

The thing is, I don't have the supplies to drill it on my own, and I don't think my LFS will do it for me. So i was looking at glass cages, and they have three different sizes:
40 Long: 36 x 18 x 13
40 High: 30 x 12 1/2 x 25
40 Square: 24 x 24 x 17

I'm thinking the 40 long would work. Unless there is a good alternative for drilling, that way I don't have to spend so much on the custom tank.

From Glass cages that $447 for the tank and sump! Toooooo Much for this tank! I was thinking an overflow box, but I know many users despise them, Your thoughts??
Old 03-03-2014, 08:19 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

By supplement I meant you might need another small power head not dosing. The eBay panels I'm pretty sure cover a 2'x2' square so you would need 2.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh haha! My mistake!

The post above has been edited so please go back and read it!
Old 03-03-2014, 08:51 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Drilling really isn't as hard as you would think. Gla ss hol es .com has great bits and they even sell drill guides. There's no spaces and it's one word but that's how you have to spell it on forums . The key to drilling is keep it wet and let the weight of the drill do the work
Edit: and for lights for a fowlr you can go with any light you would like
Old 03-03-2014, 09:12 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, after reading a little more, I have decided to go SUMPLESS! I'm going to run an AC70probably. No skimmer, I'm good with water changes, so that isn't a problem. Good news! Just figured out that my entire house except toilets and showers, is plumbed with an RO/DI system! No more useless trips to the LFS for me!

So here is my estimate for start up-

40b- $40 at the dollar per gallon sale.
AC 70-$50
Hydor Koralia Evolution 850- $30
Sand- 40lbs $32
Rock- $60 for 40lbs
Petco PC Hood- $60

The total being = $272! Not including a stand. That is where I need help, I have no idea what to use as a stand. I am not good with saws, or support, even if i follow a plan. Any ideas?
Old 03-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alright, so I just figured out that my LFS has a 55g. It comes with the canopy, stand, tank, lights, an overflow, reef ready. I don't know how much it's going for, so I'll probably call and ask tomorrow. It seems like it would be perfect, but it needs to be restained which isn't the end of the world. It seems like it would be perfect for me, and it's been there for a while.

Tags
scales, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com