Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
@ dmolavi: I know it isn't the first week of june....but can I get in on this? Or will you be doing another order soon? I bought an RO unit at my LFS..which I wasn't completely sold on, but I couldn't find anything better. As luck would have it, it had a broken part so I returned it. I'd much rather have the RODI unit you are showing here. How/where do I get one?

@Joey: I enjoyed reading your thread, all of the ups and downs and all of the encouragement and advice people gave along the way. I'm just started a 75 gallon saltwater tank this weekend. So excited!

Well thank you! Glad you're starting a 75!!! You'll have a lot of fun working on it and tinkering with it. Awesome stuff! Look forward to hearing all about it! :)

Sorry to hear of the losses last week. How is your last remaining swimmer doing? Holding strong, I hope.

Sorry to hear of the losses last week. How is your last remaining swimmer doing? Holding strong, I hope.

Blue damsel is happy as a clam! Still alive. Makes me wonder. He's a tough little fish... :) so crossing my fingers he'll be ok. Trying to find some huge gloves that cover up to my shoulders. I don't want to get bit by those Isopods. Haha... Not taking any chances!!! Still got some Cyanobacteria here and there. Not as bad as before. So I think I'm getting it out. :)

SWC Protein skimmer went out on me today after doing a water change. I'm hoping its the pump or there's something lodged in it from preventing it to start. I took it out of the sump for the meantime. Question: how long can I leave my tank without a protein skimmer? Worse case scenario I have to wait for a new pump to come... Or buy an other skimmer by pay day. I don't have any fish in there but I do have my corals and inverts in it... What can I do in the meantime???

You should be ok. Just keep the flow moving with pumps and keep an eye on your water params.

BRS just posted a video series on disaster recovery. You might want to hop on their live chat to see if they have any insight (their warehouse was without power for 3 days and they didn't lose anything).

Ahhhh... That would make sense and they have fish in there aquariums right? I think I should be ok... Thanks Dari.

Just finished your story! How is the damsel doing?! Has the tank cleared up of the little nasties yet?

Hi Cichlid Jon!

The "survivor" blue damsel is doing good! He has a whole 30 gallon QT tank to himself. So he's happy as a clam.

About the direct tank:

My protein skimmer broke last week. The pump is shot. Ordered a new pump with a lfs and they haven't called me back that its in. So I may have to look up the manufacture and buy it on my own. Or find a more reputable lfs.

The little nasties are still around. I'm hoping they are some sort of cocopds instead of Isopods but I can't get a good picture of them. :/ but then I'd imagine that maybe my fish were ill of an other disease. I'm not taking any chances so the tank is still barren for 30 more days as of today. So I have a whole month to figure out the new stocking list of the tank if I want any after all this madness.

I guess I was due for an update of the tank but I haven't gotten around to it because I've been a little busy. So far it's doing good and well... Today ill be doing a water change for it in hopes my coral can hack it without a protein skimmer for a bit. I know i have heard of people not using a protein skimmer on smaller tanks. So it's only temporary.

Thanks for the questions! I will have to get to posting on here a little more frequently. Anyway, thanks for keeping me on my toes! I appreciate it heaps friend! :)

:) good to hear the damsel is a tough cookie :)

What pump did you buy for the skimmer? There are lots of online suppliers (BRS, MarineDepot, and others) that sell pumps you can hook up to your skimmer.

Submersible Pumps - Bulk Reef Supply
Powerheads & Aquarium Pumps

(for starters)

I checked with the manufacture and they sell a replacement pump for $65. Problem is my lfs told me that SWC went out of business a year ago. It could be why I can't get through to the manufacture when i call. However their phone is still connected.

long story short... I may just end up buying a new skimmer. The tough part is which one. Lol. I was looking at BRS's reef octopus... It maybe a go if I can't get my lfs to get the part in. Gerrrrr

Reef Octopus skimmers are nice :)

You might want to google around and see if anyone online has any pumps...

Reef Octopus skimmers are nice :)

You might want to google around and see if anyone online has any pumps...

I have. eBay sold an atman 2500 pump but it doesn't look the same. So I rather order from a lfs and have them return it then losing some cash on a pump I can't use. My only hope is that this store can get it in. Problem is that it's 100 bucks to replace. But I rather be certain then sorry. Hence the extra few bucks for the pump. But for an other hundred I'm closer to buying the reef octopus. Although, I really enjoy the swc skimmer because its quiet I don't know how this transition to the reef octopus will be. I've heard great reviews of that one and the diablo one.

I have. eBay sold an atman 2500 pump but it doesn't look the same. So I rather order from a lfs and have them return it then losing some cash on a pump I can't use. My only hope is that this store can get it in. Problem is that it's 100 bucks to replace. But I rather be certain then sorry. Hence the extra few bucks for the pump. But for an other hundred I'm closer to buying the reef octopus. Although, I really enjoy the swc skimmer because its quiet I don't know how this transition to the reef octopus will be. I've heard great reviews of that one and the diablo one.

My reef octopus HOB BH100 came with a silencer and I can hardly tell its there. I like it a lot!

Back
Top Bottom