Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #161
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2861790152.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	194.8 KB
ID:	163018

My anemone moved. What the heck? I had it situated right in the center and it moved to the side of the rock. It's been on that rock forever. Wondering if I should just turn the rock around?

Old 03-29-2013, 04:17 AM   #162
Aquarium Advice Freak

My sump is driving me crazy! Water keeps splashing all over the stand. The sump is configured quite closely to the inside of the stand. So everything is quite snug. How do prevent the skimmer from splashing bubbles from the top of the skimmer? I mean it's great it's doing its job but it's overly doing it. I cleaned the collection cup a few days ago (that was gross) and somehow the splashing got worse after cleaning it. It's filling my sump with bubbles. Some of those bubbles are in my tank. :/ I put some filter floss close to the return pump... Let's see if that works... But I hope this is normal. I had water collected on the stand. :/ that can't be good could it?

Old 03-29-2013, 12:11 PM   #163
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
My sump is driving me crazy! Water keeps splashing all over the stand. The sump is configured quite closely to the inside of the stand. So everything is quite snug. How do prevent the skimmer from splashing bubbles from the top of the skimmer? I mean it's great it's doing its job but it's overly doing it. I cleaned the collection cup a few days ago (that was gross) and somehow the splashing got worse after cleaning it. It's filling my sump with bubbles. Some of those bubbles are in my tank. :/ I put some filter floss close to the return pump... Let's see if that works... But I hope this is normal. I had water collected on the stand. :/ that can't be good could it?
Sounds to me like you have your skimmer set up wrong, Mine does this is I allow the head to get to high. You need to adjust it the cup should not be full of water. You want to set it up so the foam is just able to get pushed over the edge into the cup. it should take like a week+ fot the cup to be full, I empty my cup 2 times a week and I normally do it when its like 1/3 full. there shouldnt be any bubbles or water comming out of the cup. Is the water splashing because the skimmer is overflowing from the cup back into the tank? this would explain all your issues of splashing water, bubbles coming out of the lid, and foam in your sump.

Also Leave you annenome alone, Alot of the time they will need to change location because of light demands or flow demands so he will move to a spot he likes. if you keep him from moving he will just become unhappy.

Also do you know about dry rock?
CleverBs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:33 PM   #164
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yes, the bubbles are coming out because the skimmer is overflowing. It looks like I turn down the valve for it but somehow it turns back up and starts splashing around again. I did a water change two days ago. I'm thinking somehow the skimmer went weird when I plugged everything back in.. Because it wasn't doing this before. Maybe I'll shut it off and turn it back on. I have no idea what's going on...
Old 03-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #165
Aquarium Advice Freak

I won't touch the anemone!

Elaborate about dry rock for me? I know what it is. But I have yet to get any in my tank. I'm waiting a while before I get anymore rock.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:07 PM   #166
Aquarium Advice Freak

My anemone moved back to its original spot. That is awesome! On an other note... Still got he bubbles. :/

Name:	image-2912467492.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	163317

This is the only way it won't bubble out. I'm assuming this is probably not good for skimming the top? My stand is pretty wet from the base. :/

Name:	image-3029629979.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	108.7 KB
ID:	163318

Name:	image-3257879327.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	125.5 KB
ID:	163319

I turned my skimmer off and back on... Still had bubbles accumulating in the sump. I place the filter, filter floss and activated carbon in the bubble trap baffle. Think that may be the cause?
Old 03-29-2013, 03:42 PM   #167
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just to confirm, the red handled valve is all the way open right?
If it is, and your still getting overflow it means either there is something blocking the water outlet in the skimmer, causing too much back pressure, or you need to raise your skimmer a bit higher in the sump to effectively lower the water level. As you said this is a new problem, I'd suspect the first problem.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:53 PM   #168
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ahhh that could be it!!! The previous owner had it elevated with some egg crate. I threw it out not thinking anything of it... It was pretty gross looking. Guess it's time to get it elevated somehow.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #169
Aquarium Advice Freak

I also tried moving the skimmer around... Different directions and it didn't work.
Old 03-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #170
Aquarium Advice Freak

Your tank looks awesome!

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com