Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #261
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldfishJoey View Post
Sign me up. The last time I checked the BRS they were out of the 50 lbs box. But yay!!!!
You're in

Old 06-14-2013, 11:30 AM   #262
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmolavi View Post
Re: The RO/DI...I created an Excel spreadsheet that lets me input my townships water pricing, and then calculates the impact the use of the RODI will have on my water bill. It isn't very much. I can email you the file if you'd like to take a look at it.

The unit itself isn't that big, and sits comfortably, with room to spare, on a shelf in my laundry. Obviously, the RODI doesn't impact your electric bill, since you're using cold (vs heated) water for the system.
We were thinking more along the heater and an other power head. But that's more my BFF's rant then mine. but send that email away. Ill PM you my email if I haven't already

Old 06-14-2013, 11:33 AM   #263
Aquarium Advice Addict

It's not as bad as you think. With a 100 gallon tank, you've probably only got about 80 gallons of water in there (rock and sand take up a lot). If you do 20% changes each week, that's only 16 gallons.

A 20 gallon Brute can isn't too big, and doesn't need a mega heater to heat it (and you only need to heat the water before you add it) or a large powerhead to circulate (again, I only turn it on when I add the salt to help the mix, then leave it on for a few hours to give it agitation...).

Your top off water doesn't need to be heated, since it's added in much smaller volumes.

(I don't have your email address here at work, so PM it to me and I'll get you the file).
Old 06-14-2013, 11:41 AM   #264
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It's not as bad as you think. With a 100 gallon tank, you've probably only got about 80 gallons of water in there (rock and sand take up a lot). If you do 20% changes each week, that's only 16 gallons.

A 20 gallon Brute can isn't too big, and doesn't need a mega heater to heat it (and you only need to heat the water before you add it) or a large powerhead to circulate (again, I only turn it on when I add the salt to help the mix, then leave it on for a few hours to give it agitation...).

Your top off water doesn't need to be heated, since it's added in much smaller volumes.

(I don't have your email address here at work, so PM it to me and I'll get you the file).
Done.

Since you put it that way... Hmmm... I can try that for my argument on why I need an RO/DI unit. Lol. The issue is he wants to gut some cabinets we have installed in the garage and build a shelving unit. He's been putting if off for a while. Maybe it will motivate us to do something about it. We were thinking about a 30 gallon container and the such. But using a heater and power head only when mixing sounds like a better deal to me. We were actually thinking of doing two containers. One for the RO and one for mixing. I think if we rearrange the garage we will have more space to figure things out in the mean time. We talked about leaving it in the patio. Long story short this was an uphill battle to discuss.
Old 06-14-2013, 11:44 AM   #265
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hear ya It's always an uphill battle.

I'd imagine that given your location, you might not have to heat the water at all, or minimally. Just let it sit in the container and it will get up to temp.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #266
Aquarium Advice Freak

Lost two more. One yesterday and one today. Gerrrrrrrrrrrr
Old 06-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #267
Aquarium Advice FINatic

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Sorry to hear that. I really hope things get better!
Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #268
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evansimp View Post

Sorry to hear that. I really hope things get better!
I hope so too... :/
Old 06-15-2013, 07:05 PM   #269
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
:-( Don't lose hope or give up. It'll get better.
Old 06-15-2013, 07:44 PM   #270
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:

:-( Don't lose hope or give up. It'll get better.
Hope so! Not giving up. Just really sad I keep losing them. I'm ready to give up on having fish though. I may just go reef.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com