Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Doing a great job looks good! I thought it was just a transfer, the good thing is you can do it your way and know that it's clean and ready to roll some reef.

Doing a great job looks good! I thought it was just a transfer, the good thing is you can do it your way and know that it's clean and ready to roll some reef.

It is a transfer. He still has all the fish, reef and coral, light... I told him to hold on to them until I can get the tank situated. I still had to tear down my own tank as well. :( I did my tear down of my old tank, moved in into the back yard... Picked up my new tank, sanded and primed it last night. Today I shall paint it. I have his sand in a cooler, live rock in a Rubbermaid container, some of the water in a Rubbermaid containers and then buying some more water. I wasn't sure about using the same sand... What's your take on it? If it will cause a headache then I rather just buy new sand. But if it's not then ill just put the old back in.

Personal I would buy new sand one peace of mind and all that hard work you and your boyfriend are doing. Then there won't be any regrets. Save the sand clean it out real good let it dry out and maybe use it later. Btw I like Fiji pink!!!!!!!

Personal I would buy new sand one peace of mind and all that hard work you and your boyfriend are doing. Then there won't be any regrets. Save the sand clean it out real good let it dry out and maybe use it later. Btw I like Fiji pink!!!!!!!

Hmm... Ok. I shall put that on the to-do list for today. I need to have everything back up and running before tomorrow. I'll have the fish in the containers until i am able to place them back in. But I rather have piece and mind instead of a headache. My days off and working ... :/ worth the work! Just hated that stand and the sand left all this residual on it I had to clean it. (The OCD thing didn't let me just put everything together) lol. I'm thinking this will end up starting a huge cycle no? Or because I have the love rock and old water would that be ok?

I have an other question: so there's some PVC pipe going back to the tank from the sump. It had 90 degree elbows glued together face front (they did use a nipple to hold it together (I have no clue how they did it and didn't have a leak. Anyway, I went to Home Depot to buy some new PVC (my brother broke it when we transferred the tank to my house) and bought all the necessary PVC to attach back on the out-take (is that a word) But not sure if Teflon toe will do the trick or do we need aquarium glue that safe for the fish?

When I transfered my tank I rinsed the new sand off really well and never had a issue but I use ocean water so my expense is zero just saying that cus sometimes it seems like the advice is good but expense. I don't have a rodi filter if you have one rinse off the sand or clean your old sand really well you should be fine,get the poop out! If it's threaded fittings you can use the Teflon tape. What is love rock? Jk lol! OCD I push on my rocks to see if there stable and you know what happens!

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be good and all work out in the long run!! I used PVC cement wet dry should say safe for portable water on joints that need to be glued.

When I transfered my tank I rinsed the new sand off really well and never had a issue but I use ocean water so my expense is zero just saying that cus sometimes it seems like the advice is good but expense. I don't have a rodi filter if you have one rinse off the sand or clean your old sand really well you should be fine,get the poop out! If it's threaded fittings you can use the Teflon tape. What is love rock? Jk lol! OCD I push on my rocks to see if there stable and you know what happens!

Man this phone has a mind of its own. Autocorrect!!! :/ lol. Well, I was thinking of purchasing a RO/DI unit but for the time being it isn't an option. I have some well water accessible... And or even regular RO water. Do I rinse it off to the point of where it's really clean? Bc if I can save money I would rather do that. I tapped into my savings to pay for the tank and don't want to blow all my pay check either buying stuff I already have. Doesn't sound like a bad idea to buy some but then the penny pinching in me says to save the money and clean it. Lol.

I would go clean it to save money. It seems like there's always a little cloudiness on mine after crazy rinsing.IMO I would use some of the tank water cus the fish and stuff are use to that water parameters that me thinking cus it's a transfer. Save some cash.

if you do use the same sand rinse it out in very small amount. Rinse like 5lbs at a time so you get it really clean and stired up. use hot water. mix it really well and rinse till when you stir the sand the water is clear. This will take HOURS to get done but if you want to save the money go for it. Just dont get lazy because you will pay for it with algae blooms and high nitrates.

another thing that helped is to put it in a pan with a large footprint and spread the sand out on it. the shallower the sand the easier it is to clean.

Thank you Clever! Would have never thought about that. But what about the live stuff in it? Wouldn't there be a die off if I used warm water? Bc I have some of their tank water and was going to use that to clean it.

Thanks buddy! I pulled that sucker inside and out all be my lonesome! :) it's going to be worth it! I'll post up before and after pics once I'm done.

Thank you Clever! Would have never thought about that. But what about the live stuff in it? Wouldn't there be a die off if I used warm water? Bc I have some of their tank water and was going to use that to clean it.

you want everything that is in the sand GONE, just rinse it with non salt water. dont worry about living things it it because you want nothing left in that sand but sand after you are done washing it. the first few pans you do will be a PIA but you will develop a method that makes it much quicker. swoosh the water around alot. I use a big wooden spoon to stir it with while I run water in it. That way you dont grab a fire worm or anything that could be in the sand.

you want everything that is in the sand GONE, just rinse it with non salt water. dont worry about living things it it because you want nothing left in that sand but sand after you are done washing it. the first few pans you do will be a PIA but you will develop a method that makes it much quicker. swoosh the water around alot. I use a big wooden spoon to stir it with while I run water in it. That way you dont grab a fire worm or anything that could be in the sand.

What the heck is a fire worm? You guys are scaring me now. Lol

Back
Top Bottom