Made out like a bandit!! :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
image-2060770523.jpg

image-3427363403.jpg

image-3393315860.jpg

image-3646840166.jpg

image-1148924562.jpg

image-1557088602.jpg

image-3375355284.jpg

image-4201410954.jpg

image-684473613.jpg

image-3243707899.jpg

image-674602925.jpg

image-396641340.jpg

image-2559026202.jpg

Tank as of now... Don't I wish... Hahaha...

Went to the aquarium of the pacific and thought I'd share with you guys some pics! :)

Awesome awesome pictures!! :) looks like a really neat aquarium place! If you are ever in San Diego, you check out birch aquarium! :)

Awesome awesome pictures!! :) looks like a really neat aquarium place! If you are ever in San Diego, you check out birch aquarium! :)

You know, we were going to go down to sea world this weekend for a getaway birthday gift from my bf. We had reservations out on the beach but my mom planned a dinner party and we had to cancel the night before. So one of these weekends we will head out that way we will deff put birch aquarium on the must see!!! :)

image-2111934521.jpg

It's 5 o'clock somewhere!!! Cheers!! :) clean tank, clean house, clean laundry, clean lawn... I so deserve this. :)

image-2937499789.jpg

UPDATE

Tank is empty. I tore it down this morning/afternoon in order to catch all of my fish. It was a headache. Tomorrow starts the day of quarantine for 6 fish. The 6 fish that are still alive at least. I have managed to lose my lawnmower blenny, diamond goby, wrasse, banner fish and my pair of clown fish. As you can tell I was way over stocked. But I did regular water changes. However, my tang kept fighting ich. Needless to say the ones that died were the ones that hardly ate... Except for the clows I thought for sure they would be ok.

At the same time I had a huge issue with Cyanobacteria. I made the mistake of going to the corner water store and filling my top off with their RO water. Big mistake!!! It was full of silicates. I did that for a few weeks... that's when the headache came in. I had green slime and cyano everywhere... On my rock, corals, walls of the tank, sand bed. No matter how much I cleaned the sand bed it kept coming back. It kept growing like rapid fire!!! I'd clean it one day the next day there was twice as more. Obviously I was doing something wrong.

Today was the fourth start of tearing it to shreds in hopes that it won't return! If it does then I hope I don't give up on this saltwater stuff. It's totally depressing!!! I did a 50% water change, siphoned a lot of sand out that had cyano. Took out the rock and scrubbed the crap out of each one in a old tank water and hope I got every nook and cranny. All my levels are ideal. Everything is back to normal level wise. My hopes is that my phosphates stay low and ill cut back on my lighting to 8-10 hours. I think my lights were running 12 hours with the whites and blues.

Although this has been discouraging its been a huge lesson to me on what to do and what not to do. Needless to say only three of the six fish are going back into the tank after QT. the other three are going to the LFS after copper treatment, hypo and some mitrodonizol (However you spell that) and some other additive that goes with that. Ill get them back into shape and send them on their way to the LFS. So, after much thought ill need some help with stocking the tank again. Ill have two chromis, and a blue damsel in the tank (after the two months of having a barren tank). Ill keep the QT up and running to QT the new fish. The only thing that I really want in their is two clowns and a couple more chromis. Other than that everything is questionable. In all honesty I rather have a reef tank after this ich madness... But I miss my clowns. :/

So there's the scoop. It's been a long day. I'm pooped. My fish are pooped... But at least my DT looks good. :)

image-4198248112.jpg

Hang in there! As for fish I keep five and buy corals. Because fish are a pain. You have experience with cleaning the tank this is cake for you.:)

Hang in there! As for fish I keep five and buy corals. Because fish are a pain. You have experience with cleaning the tank this is cake for you.:)

Yeah, I know. I'm having a pity party I guess because I could have avoided this had I not been lazy and gone to the fish store to get RO for top offs. I guess I was being cheap also. Haha... Obviously I'm not going to close shop on my tank. But I'm highly thinking of going reef only. :) my shrimps tend to like the idea. They are all over the place tonight.

Thanks for the encouragement Daniel. I needed it today! It will totally be cake! I need more rock! :)

I would also like to suggest a lot more live rock. The large bio load was no match for the little bit of rock you have in there IMO. Just order a box of dry rock from one of the online vendors.

I would also like to suggest a lot more live rock. The large bio load was no match for the little bit of rock you have in there IMO. Just order a box of dry rock from one of the online vendors.

If you want to order from BRS, I will be doing another buy the week of July 4th. They discount their live rock nicely during the buys.

I really weighed the pros and cons of a Ro/DI. Even took out my calculator. I got scared over the work and space it will need and where to put it. We've discussed it quite often. So for the mean time to avoid any salinity fluctuations I thought of getting the Tunze ATO. Until we figure out the logistics of it all. Not to mention our water and electric bill will go a little higher. In California they charge you in a certain bracket each month of water usage. So were wondering how much the water and electric bill will go up. He's been complaining that the electric bill sky rocketed. Doh. So were debating LED lights too. Haha.

Thanks for your guys feed back. I appreciate it.

Mr.x, how much more do you suggest? 50#?

Re: The RO/DI...I created an Excel spreadsheet that lets me input my townships water pricing, and then calculates the impact the use of the RODI will have on my water bill. It isn't very much. I can email you the file if you'd like to take a look at it.

The unit itself isn't that big, and sits comfortably, with room to spare, on a shelf in my laundry. Obviously, the RODI doesn't impact your electric bill, since you're using cold (vs heated) water for the system.

Back
Top Bottom