Made some mistakes…need help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stein

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am in need of some help and advice.
This is what i have:
175-gallon bow front
20-gallon sump w/ bio balls
(2) Mag 12 pumps
UV sterilizer
100# of base rock (not live rock)
150# of #3 crushed coral
(2) 48” standard florescent lights
This tank is a fish only tank
Ok so I started out ok put it all together …no leaks woo hoo. Then the mistakes happened went to the LFS and they said “you need to cycle the tank with damsel’s”, so I bought 17 of them and after 3+ weeks all are still alive. After reading a lot of posts here realized I goofed and should have used shrimp to do the cycling talked to the LFS and they do not take returns. So I am kind of stuck with this way of cycling tank.

My first question is I should have gone with live rock, can I add or swap out with the base rock a little at a time after the tank has finished cycling. I don’t plan on introducing any more fish till tank is completely cycled and stable for a while. Does the lighting need to be upgraded with the addition of the LR

Second question is with the CC that is in the tank now; from what I have read I should be using a DSB. Do I need to pull the CC out of the tank and add the sand or just partial of the CC comes out. Besides the Southdown I need to add LS, correct if so how much of each

My first question is I should have gone with live rock, can I add or swap out with the base rock a little at a time after the tank has finished cycling. I don’t plan on introducing any more fish till tank is completely cycled and stable for a while. Does the lighting need to be upgraded with the addition of the LR

You can certainly add LR at any point, if you add it now, you won't have to be as concerned if it is cured or not. If you wait till the cycle is over...then the rock will either need to be cured, or you will have to cure it yourself in a seperate container.

IMO, you will definitely want to upgrade your light if you want to keep the rock alive. How much you need to upgrade will depend on what you want to do with the tank, do you want FOWLR or do you want a full blown reef?

Second question is with the CC that is in the tank now; from what I have read I should be using a DSB. Do I need to pull the CC out of the tank and add the sand or just partial of the CC comes out. Besides the Southdown I need to add LS, correct if so how much of each

If you want to do a DSB, you should remove as much of the CC as possible. Then add the sand. You can add the southdown to the level you want your DSB and seed it with a few lbs of good quality LS.

After reading a lot of posts here realized I goofed and should have used shrimp to do the cycling talked to the LFS and they do not take returns. So I am kind of stuck with this way of cycling tank.

Let me say here, if you purchased all that equipment from this LFS, you have put quite a bit of money in their pocket. I would remind them of this, I would point out that you are not hesitant to spend money on equipment and should they not accept the fish as a return, your business will be going elsewhere in the future. Now this only works if when you say it...you mean it. You still have a bit of money to put into this tank, we can certainly help you find other places to buy what you need other than your LFS ;)

Back
Top Bottom