MAG 9.5 Drives

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salttanker

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all -

I have 2 Mag drives that I use for my returns. I keep two for redundant reasons in case one fails. However, I have noticed over time that these pumps are really heating up my tank. I love the reliability and power from these pumps, but what would you all recommend as comparable return pumps that run cooler? Before this purchase, I bought Rio HF 17's that lasted about 6 months and died. They need to be submersible as I don't have room to go external at the moment. I have never had to use a chiller, and really didn't plan on buying one. :rolleyes:

I look forward to your feedback. Thanks

Regards,

Mike

I`m in the same boat as I used to have 2 Rio 14hf`s and they lasted less than a yr. I now run a mag 12 and a 9.5 on my returns now and am real pleased with them. I noticed no change in temps when I switched over.

Maybe I need to do some tests and see if one is going South on me. Perhaps it's dying on me. I've always been able to maintain my temps between 80-82 degrees, even in the summer. Back to square one...

Thanks for your feedback.

Regards,

Mike

I found the issue. My Mag 7 I use for my Skimmer is heating up the sump something awful. I disconnected the pump over night, and my temperature went down 7 degrees already. Looks like I am going to need a new pump for the ole skimmer.

Regards,

Mike

I have a Mag7 that I will be using soon. Is it running hot a problem I will most likely encounter? I will be running it in a 20g sump on my 46g tank. only like 65gallons of water running threw a mag7. If it produces heat it could heat up 65gallons fairly quick. I guess if it is always running even if it is hot I can adjust my heater to accomidate the difference?? Does the brand of mag7 make a difference mine is a Supreme Mag-Drive utility pump mag7

Also while we are on the subject the mag7 came with a pre-filter that is a 5" long circular mesh cylindar looking thing that attaches to the pump. It would be after the skimmer and refugium section of course will this be beneficial to collect bacteria or produce nitrates. I will only clean it weekly most likely

Hey figiwigi,

In addition to the MAG 7 pump, I also have 2 9.5 MAGS for returns that don't run as hot as my 7. I'm thinking it may be defective or something perhaps.
In regards to the mesh, I don't even use it on mine. I just clean my pump every couple of months. IMO, it's too lare and takes up too much room.

Hook it up and let it run for 24 hours and record the temperature before and after to see if it fluctuates as much as mine. in 24 hours, mine sored 7 degrees higher than when it was turned off. Let me know how you make out.

Good luck!

Mike

While we're on Mags here, I recommend EVERYONE using one for your main return buy and stock an extra impeller to have on hand. Mine cracked on me and I had to order one thru the mail. Overnight of course. Now, the powerheads kept everything alive in the main, but my sump/fuge was in jeopardy as it is filled with life (critters, macro algae, rock, etc).

I did get thru the day's wait by placing a small powerhead down there to keep the oxygen going.

But..... ya know what dummy did???:silly: Left the heater in the fuge and the sensor in the main.

Can anyone guess what happened???? Par boiled my sump.

Anyway - extra impeller(s) ya'll!!!

Sorry to hear that, Austinsdad. Sumps boil quick with heaters! I learned the hard way with a Rio HF17 return pump last year. That's why I run two Mag 9.5's for redundancy. You never know when one is going to just quit on you. I also keep a few MJ1200 power heads in my main just in case as well. Plus it provides more aeration.

Regards,

Mike

Ok I just thought of something. Kinda of related to the threads first question somewhat.(not trying to thread jack) Most people keep there heaters in the sump if they have a sump. The sump has a much smaller amount of water so wouldn't the heater heat that small amount of water much faster than if it was in the main display. So the setting of the heater in the main will be different than the setting of the heater in the sump to control the temp of the main displays water. Hope I am making sense. My sumps Mag7 will turn my tanks water volume over about 10 times per hour so really what I am asking here is
what should I expect to see happen when I get things setup with my heater in the sump here in the near future If I don't adjust the heaters setting should I be ok. Maybe I will buy a seperate thermomoter for the sump itself

I'll let you in on a little secret fijiwigi. The pumps in my sump stay warm enough that a heater is not even warranted. By the way, I replaced my Mag 7 with an old Catalina 1800, which was what my skimmer came with originally. Since then, my temp has been maintaining between 81-83 degrees 24 hours so far. I use a big temp guage so I can see if from a distance.
You're right. The sump is such a confined area that things can heat up rather quickly. If I were more handy, I would plumb the pumps to run external, but my luck they would leak and it would be a disaster and my wife would kill me.
Some people have the knack to do it, while others' have to pay to have it done. :bowl:

Regards,

Mike

Some people have the knack to do it, while others' have to pay to have it done. :bowl:
Yeah I am definately the type that has to pay to have it done for sure. I do try to do most things at work I usually make the problem worse by trying to fix it and then have to call the repair guy to get it fixed right I am succussfull about 70% of the time Thanks for the input Salttanker

Back
Top Bottom