main volume + sump volume = more fish?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr.Nate

Aquarium Advice Freak
so, if I have a 55 gal main and a 20 gal sump, (75 total volume), then should I be able to house a fish that normally would only be able to go into a 75 gal aquarium? Or is that just wishful thinking?

The recommended fish tank size for a fish is the total area the fish has to swim around, not total volume including the sump. Think about it... if you have a 10 gallon tank and a 60 gallon sump, could you house a fish that grew to a foot long? :lol:

The added volume is to help stabilize the water conditions, temperature, and overall increase good bacteria. Not to mention sumps are GREAT to house all of your equipment. Go for fish that are recommended for 50 gal or less, unless you're planning to upgrade VERY soon before the fish get too big. HTH

if you mean a fish size wise { length and width } id venture to guess no ... if it can outgrow a 55 tank, shared water isnt going to matter as much as actual aquarium space it will need.... i guess you could stuff one in there it would just not swim around as much when it gets bigger lol

but id like to know if im wrong too =D

Well, that's not what I wanted to hear, but I do appreciate your honesty! thanks

Back
Top Bottom