Maintaining Calcium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

spikey

Aquarium Advice Activist
Short of buying a Ca reactor or expensive commercial preparations; can anyone recommend a safe, easy and relatively cheap way of maintaining calcium in my tank?

My suggestion would be to do a weekly or biweekly PWC. I do weekly PWC`s and calcium stays around 450-480. I also use oceanic salt mix.

SparKy697, thanks for link. An Improved Do-it-Yourself Two-Part Calcium and Alkalinity Supplement System by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

I am wondering if anyone has had any experience in this. I cannot get the calcium chloride preparation described in the web page; however, I can get 'damp rid'. Damp rid is 80% Calcium chloride, with Sodium chloride, and a few other things. It is the few other things that I am unsure of, I would appreciate any feedback.

melosu58; at the moment my calcium requirements are not too high so I thing that with your suggested water changes the calcium levels will be ok. I am concerned however, when my calcium requirements increase over the next 6 months that the water changes may not be enough!

I woudn't use the Damp-Rid. There is no way of knowing without alot of expensive testing what impurities are in it.
You should be able to get Kent Turbo calcium. It may cost a little more than buying calcium in bulk, but it is the same thing....calcium chloride.

I am concerned however, when my calcium requirements increase over the next 6 months that the water changes may not be enough!

Just wondering why you think it will not be enough. Planning on adding some SPS corals?

Unless you plan to do a heavily stocked SPS tank you really shouldn't need anything other than regular water changes to maintain calcium.

Highly depends on what an individual considers "maintaining." I prefer to keep my Ca averaging 420 and upwards of 450 if at all possible regardless if for soft corals or sps.

All precipitation is, is the saturation point of calcium when it can no longer dissolve in the water. 500ppm seems to be a magic number for supersaturation, but I don't see the need to achieve such a number; however, the higher you raise your Ca the more likely you'll also need to raise your Alk to keep the two balanced. I prefer an Alk of 4.0-4.2meq/L. The benefits in keeping a higher balance is a much more stable buffered pH, inhibition of various "problematic" algaes, and the rate of calcification is constant.

Back
Top Bottom