Maintaining Salinity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

360º

Aquarium Advice FINatic
when doing water changes i've found it very difficult to maintain the exact same salinity as in my tank.

after adding 5 gallons of water to my tank the salinity changed from 1,0252 to 1,0247...... is this a major swing or is this something that the fish and corals can deal with?

I personally think you`ll be OK. That`s a small change. Esp. after adding to the tank.

i mixed the water for about half an hour in the bucket..... i think while in the tank it'll even dissolve more salt

It`s best if it does it in the bucket. I would mix it and let it set 24 hours before adding to the tank. Salt is too caustic to add real quick like that. Most folks here that make their SW wait 24-48 hrs.

thanks for the tip. ill do that next time.

should i leave the powerhead on the whole time in the bucket?

How could the salinity go down if you are adding saltwater to the tank? I have been told to top off saltwater tanks with RO/DI water and no salt. What is true?

When you do a PWC you take SW out and then add new SW. I`m sure that`s what he`s doing.

How could the salinity go down if you are adding saltwater to the tank? I have been told to top off saltwater tanks with RO/DI water and no salt. What is true?

If you do your water change with salt water that is lower in salinity than the water you just took out, your salinity in the tank will go down. And yes... top off EVAPORATION using RO/DI water.

As far as matching PWC water salinity to your tank water... you should be able to match it dead on if you keep some mixed saltwater stored somewhere with a heater and powerhead in it. By mixing in advance and storing it, you can check the salinity and adjust it all you want until you're ready to use it. Eventually you'll find the right amount of salt to water that will give you exactly what you want. It's always good to have extra water at the right salinity and temperature ready to go in case of emergencies.

Back
Top Bottom