Majano/Aiptasia Control

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PrettyFishies

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank is a breeding ground for these things and my peppermints died so the aips came back. I really need to deal with the majnos which I swear are in the 100's at this point.

I'm considering a seagrass filefish. I don't have any Zoas so that's not a concern, but I do have LPS, SPS and leathers.

Anyone have good experiences with filefish handling both pest nems

I purchased an aptasia eating file and it doesn't even look at aptasia. It's hit or miss. Plus, They have also been known to eat coral and inverts occasionally.

You shouldn't have let them get out of hand. I would get some kalkwasser and a syringe (less the steel tip) and make the kalk into a thick paste. Squirt a large glob on the oral disk and then another on it's wilting body. Do about 20 every 3 or 4 days until you have them under control.

Is that safe when they are directly next to coral polyps?

And I take it the paste just disintegrates and won't cloud the tank?

Well, it's about as safe as the anemone that's directly next to the coral polyps. If you hit a coral, it will grow back, meanwhile,shut off all flow while you are applying the kalk so it doesn't blow all over the place.
it will not cloud the tank. Yes, eventually it will disappear.

Got it. Thank you.

What are your thoughts on adding kalk to my top off water?

I have a 125 gal with a 5 gallon reservoir for my rodi top off water. I use a float valve with a solenoid so it goes on and off as the water evaporates.

Back
Top Bottom