Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-12-2008, 06:57 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

majano anemones and green bubble algae

first day first post...need to update the profile...but quick question....anyone have any idea how to get rid of majano anemones and bubble algae??? i'm more concerned with the anemones because they are taking over!!....got one on a piece of live rock and thought it was cool until now....50-70 of them later!!! just looking for the easiest way to go about it...anything will help! thanks

Old 06-12-2008, 08:26 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Read my post: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...at-103268.html

Old 06-12-2008, 09:05 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

Joe's Juice is a commercial product that works great too.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome to AA BTW. AS Cmor said get some Joe's Juice it will take care of it. Bubble algae is a little more of a pain. If you can take the rock that it is on out of the tank do so. Remove the bubble algae from the rock and rinse it off in SW and put the rock back in. Emeral Crabs will sometimes eat bubble algae but its from the busting of them that causes the spread. It's better to remove it manually just becareful not to bust them if you can.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

thanks for the replies....this joes juice wont affect any other organisms in the tank??? as for the bubble algae...i dont mind picking them off as long as they go away!! theres just so many...i think thats why they spread so much cuz i bursted some of them....
Old 06-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

When you use joes juice you want to stop all of your flow in the tank and use the dropper/injecter that they provide to hit the mouth of the anemone. On larger anemones it may take more then one application. You don't want to get JJ on your other corals but having itin the tank will not hurt anything. Allow the JJ to sit on the anemone for a little while before turning your pumps back on.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:59 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Everyone else has covered the Joe's Juice stuff, but the bubble algae issue will be with you longer. If you have lots, then it's going to be an uphill battle, but it can be won. With just a few, the "gently roll the bubble off the rock" routine works great and you can get them off without popping them.

But if they're like mine, and stuck in the nooks and crannies of the rocks, you're going to have to pop them to get them out. Have a siphon hose handy when you pop them, and you can just siphon all the spores out. I now also use the siphon hose to scrape the little guys off the rock - the bubbles go down the tube, as well as any spores. You need to get the complete bubble which is hard to do sometimes. I've given up trying not to burst them and am just going with the "scrape them off with the siphon hose routine." That should reduce the number in my tank to reproduce and coupled with all the other nuisance algae reduction methods (less food, phosphate remover, bigger water changes, etc) it should eventually run its course... like all other "phases" our tanks go through!

I hope.

My bubble algae isn't at plague proportions yet, but I'm just tired of it.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:37 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Well said Kurt!
Old 06-13-2008, 10:51 AM   #9
AA Team Emeritus

I know I'm going to regret saying this, but I conquered my bubble algae problem a couple of years ago. I'm pretty sure that the spores will only reproduce when the bubble has matured, and is close to bursting on it's own. When small, it's not the problem you might think if you burst them. I do remember bursting one large one as I was removing it and then seeing a couple of patches of it starting on some rock. I remember my Foxface munching on that young algae. I don't recall if it was a combination of snails and fish (Foxface Lo and Sailfin Tang) that eradicated it or something else. I just know that it has not been a problem since.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
algae, anemone, anemones, bubble

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com