Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-11-2006, 09:21 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
If that is the case, then your test kits are wrong, or are not being read properly because you would see ammonia or nitrite. You have told us that these are "perfect" and at zero. You have added an awful lot of fish to an unstable tank IMO.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:40 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
your test kits are wrong, or are not being read properly because you would see ammonia or nitrite. You have told us that these are "perfect" and at zero.
I've been thinking for quite a while here....how can everything be "perfect" all the time, especially in such a new set-up, with such a huge bioload?

Old 09-11-2006, 01:05 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I agree with the rest. It seems you are adding too much too fast. You have to give the tank time to catch up with your bioload. Just take it easy for a while and enjoy what you have and plan for the future.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:50 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

wow a couple snails a week?? I have 3 in my 55 right now and they all have lived for a few months now without any problems.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

No no..the snails died because the hermits ate them. Not because of bad water quality.
I test my water every other day and have brought it to two LFS to be tested as well. I do partial water changes weekly with real ocean water or rodi water.

All of my parameters are always 0, ph is anywhere from 7.8-8.2. Salinity is always at .024-.025 temp, 78-80. Believe me..I am VERY meticulous about my tank.

My tank was cycled and it took over a month to do. Everything spiked, then went to zero. Now it is perfect and I do not ever see any ammonia or nitrite. You really think my tests are wrong? Wouldn't snails and inverts die if there was poor water before fish? All of my inverts have always thrived, my two brittle starfish are fine.

The only two fish that have died was the gramma which had salt spots and the angel which may have had a disease or was stressed. I also didnt have that much bioload. I never overfed my fish and gave them a brine gumdrop or two every other day so there wasnt too much waste and had a clean up crew.

hmmm...any ideas?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:01 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Quote:
Wouldn't snails and inverts die if there was poor water before fish?
Inverts are generally more sensitive to poor water than most fish. I had two shrimp die, with no reason (well, there was a reason, but none that we could come up with, other than a bad molt). But my urchins were/are still healthy. and my tests read at 0.
Quote:
You really think my tests are wrong?
If you got the same results at your LFS, then they are probably correct.
Quote:
hmmm...any ideas?
Are you using any buffers?
After rereading your original post:
Quote:
Angel did always have some whiteness, cloudiness on her head.
Not sure about Angels, but is it possible it was already sick, when you bought it?
In my own experience, my damsels stressed out my RG and I found it dead the next day, they went after him and then quit, then I found him under a shell.....

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 10:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I think what I am going to do is this....
take out and try to catch my three damsels. Take out the Niger trigger. Return them to the LFS and get a credit. Clean up my tank a bit and do a big PWC of about 20 gallons. Leave my Maroon clownfish, firefish, inverts and snails in the tank. Let everyone get along happily for awhile with no aggressive fish in the tank at all..with no stress!

Then in awhile put another majestic angelfish and tang in there or some other kind of semi-aggressive fish. No more aggressive damsels or triggers.

The LFS and my friend that has a tank said that a stressful tank can harm the fish. They can get diseases and parasites more quickly..is that true?

Hope that will 'kill' whatever was in the tank, if there was ich or a disease, and will make my tank less stressed.

What do you think?
Old 09-11-2006, 11:22 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
No no..the snails died because the hermits ate them. Not because of bad water quality.
Are you sure? It is very possible that the snails died do to poor water quality and the snails did their job cleaning up. Listen to the others. Get some new test kits, quit listening to your boy friend and, for goodness sakes, STOP adding fish. Your tank is far too young to support the livestock you put in it. We have cautioned you to be patient in the past for this very reason. Slow down, do your research and you will have much better success.
Old 09-12-2006, 01:33 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I dont know but from what I've heard it sounds like the gramma had ich. I dont know for sure though. The only way of getting rid of ich is to go fishless for 6-8 weeks. You could use meds but I wouldn't recommend them if you want to make that a reef tank. Yes it is more likely for your fish to get diseases if they are stressed out. However, if ich has been introduced into your tank already and you havent gone fishless then it could be that your fish have built up there immune systems to fight it off. When they get stressed then the ich takes over and ultimately kills them. All these fish being added into such a new tank isnt helping either. I agree with you that you should take back the damsels and the trigger. Leave your tank alone and dont add anything for a couple of months and let everything stablize. Its hard to wait. I know from personal experience, but believe me, save some time, lives , and money by waiting this thing through. In the mean time you said you have checked your test kits against two different LFS's and they both came up with the same results that you are getting? Just to be safe go to one more if you can and verify. If it is the same as the rest and as what you are getting then I'd say your tests kits are fine. Good luck and HTH!
Old 09-12-2006, 09:27 AM   #20
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
Quote:
do a big PWC of about 20 gallons
that is only 25%....not a big water change at all. That would be a normal one.

Tags
angel, dead

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com