Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2013, 09:08 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nice tank! I got one a month ago drilled but without the overflow. I removed all the old silicone and then replaced it. You won't have a problem!

Old 03-13-2013, 10:58 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

OK. I've started removing the old silicone and bought the GE Silicone 1. Time to shift focus....

What should be my next order of business? I'm looking for a 20 or 29 on CL for my sump, and I am wanting to start getting my equipment in order. I don't want to skimp on anything, but I'm also up to the challenge of DIY wherever possible. I'm not going to be able to buy everything at once, but I need a new "project" to research and keep me psyched! Any suggestions?

Old 03-15-2013, 01:39 AM   #13

OK. So I found some lights on CL that seem like a good fit. The only problem is that I don't have a hood to mount them on...

Here's the last reply I got from the seller:

Try this link.

DSC_0584.jpg Photo by zlwags85 | Photobucket

ballasts
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...k/DSC_0492.jpg

They are these. I probably should have done price checks before posting them.... but 60 per set is fine.
48" 2x54W Miro-4 T5 High-Output Retrofit Kit

If you are doing corals.... i'd put at least 4 bulbs in (2 sets).. and i'd put 6 in if i could squeeze them depending on the type of coral you want.

Would 4 to 6 of these suit a 75 gallon reef tank well?
Is this as good a deal as it appears to be?
Are these something I could mount to a commercial hood or light fixture?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:45 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Do they have a single reflector for each bulb? Bulbs? Good ones will run you $20-30 each bulb. I got away from T5's a lttle over a year ago and couldnt be more pleased.
Search TaoTronics here lots of people are using them and seem to like them I run 3 of there dimmable over an 8 ft. tank and love the idea of not spending $90 a year on new bulbs.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #15

Those TaoTronics look great! Looks like unless your are getting really advanced that's the way to go. Thanks for the heads up.

A little update on my tank. I got the bulk of the old silicone off and cut out the overflow. Having it out obviously made it alot easier to get all the dried up stuff between the 2 walls. I haven't seen too many pre fabricatied overflows, so I posted a picture of it here. I also haven't seen too many drill jobs down on the bottom of the tank. I also noticed for the first time that the holes are 2 different sizes. I ALSO got a 20 gallon long off CL for $5. I thought "sump" all the way. Do you guys think this will be a good size, or maybe a bit too shallow to accomodate everything?

Would I get more traffic on this thread if I moved it somewhere else? Not to say I don't appreciate Grizz and Daniels comments so far!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	256.1 KB
ID:	159960   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 3.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	159961  

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	215.3 KB
ID:	159962   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 2.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	252.1 KB
ID:	159963  

Old 03-16-2013, 07:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

The larger hole is the drain. Sumps the biggest you can fit under the stand and still be able to work in it is the way to go. I had a 20 long as a sump under a 90 for a long time, your going to want to build build it around your skimmer. There's a lot of threads here they'll find you.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:49 PM   #17

So I found a brand new 40 gallon breeder tank on CL for 30 bucks, and snagged it, thinking I'll use it for SOMETHING, maybe even my sump for my 75... Is this too big for a 75 gallon sump?

I've got all my old silicone cleaned off and I'm ready to start resealing.

One question that slipped through... Why the double wall on the overflow? Also, if I can't get all the algae out of there, will I run into problems when I get things running?
Old 03-31-2013, 12:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Double wall:

If its like mine, water can flow into the middle channel from mid to lower level and then up over the inner wall into the drain area.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #19

OK! So I have by 75 gallon and 20 gallon long cleaned up and resealed! I've been scouring craigslist and doing alot of reading.

Here's what I'm thinking - Evo 180 skimmer, mag sumpreme 9 return pump, 2 hydor koralia 750 phs, and taotronics lighting.

Will this be sufficient for my total water volume? I am trying to decide if I want a controller too....

Any suggestions or thoughts would be awesome!!!
Old 04-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

A mag 9 may be a little much for the over flow how big (dia) is the drain a 1 in pipe flows around 650 gph The power heads will give you good flow but i'd go with two 1050's or a mix of one 1050 and one 750 Im running a 750 in my 20L and it's not as much as it seems

Tags
75g, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com