Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Majorsick's 75G SW Journey...

Hey guys. After lurking here for several months and posting a handful of times, I've finally bought my 75 gallon tank off Craigslist. It's a glass, predrilled tank, with a built in overflow. It was pretty dirty when I bought it, but I cleaned it up a bit today. I had it setting in my garage on some broken down cardboard boxes to protect it from scratching on the concrete floor, and I decided to fill it to make sure it didn't leak. I realized after it was about 3/4 full, that the boxes it was on were slightly overlapped and made an uneven bump beneath the middle of the tank. It looked to be leaking a bit... I freaked out and bailed it out with a 5 gallon bucket, and there didn't seem to be any new water on the box after I got it mostly empty.

Needless to say, I'm nervous about what seemed to be a leak. Could this have been caused by the uneven surface? And if so, did I ruin the tank.....?

I'll also post some pics a little later of some of the seals. They look okay, but certainly not like new. The overflow is really dirty (I'll post some pics) and I was hoping for some advice on how to clean it.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:52 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like you'll need to reseal the tank (not a big deal) Set your tank on the level cardboard fill with fresh water and vinegar let it soak if it leaks it wont hurt the concrete floor you can then use a green scrubber pad to clean the over flow.
To reseal you'll need to remove all of the old silicone as the new will NOT stick to any of the old stuff clean all the edges with acetone after scraping with a razor blade. I think there's a thread here somewhere on resealing a tank. Welcome aboard.

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Grizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 11:04 PM   #3

Thanks for the advice. I got the glass clean pretty well today, and confirmed that there is a leak somewhere.

I assume that I should take off all the old silicone BEFORE I put any of the new stuff on? And do all the sealing at the same time? Do you guys think it's necessary for reseal the overflow box? The silicone looks to be in very similar condition to the tank seals...

I'm not sure how common it is, but the overflow box has 2 walls and there's a TON of dried up algae in between them. Any ideas how to get in there without damaging the plastic?
Old 03-11-2013, 07:49 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes you will need to remove all of the old silicone Take your time it will pay you back in the long run (peace of mind is a wonderfull thing) If it were me i'd just pull the over flows and reseal those as well.
The best way is to reseal it all in one shot, leave the frame on it will help keep things square. I've done three over the years and the worst part is getting the old stuff out.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:14 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Use tape along the seams and pull it up right after you put the silicone down nice straight lines. Try to go over the beads one time with your finger to smooth it out, the bottom doesn't need to be taped unless you want to really don't see those lines.
Old 03-11-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I used wendy's plastic spoons to smooth the joints

Old 03-11-2013, 10:41 PM   #7

OK, so I just want to be sure I get this right.

My understanding is that silicone won't stick to itself well. It's also my understanding that if I remove all the old silicone at the same time that the tank becomes a bit unstable and can "twist" more readily.

I see my options as follows:

1. Take all the old stuff off before I apply any of the new and risk the instability this could cause. Then apply all the silicone at the same time.

2. Remove the old silicone a seam at a time, and replace it with new. I then risk that at the junction of the seams that the seals may not be so good because I'll be trying to stick new wet on top of the new dry silicone.

Should I be concerned about the twisting? Intuitively, it seems like I should apply all the new stuff at the same time, so that all the junctions are "wet" and will stick better.

Regarding the overflow - these seams aren't going to be quite as critical in terms of quality as the actual corner seams, right? Obviously I'll do them well no matter what, but I'm thinking I may seal the tank (over flow removed) and wait for it to dry, THEN put in the overflow (inevitably dealing with the wet on dry scenario I mentioned above).

Boy that was a mouthful. I really appreciate the responses thus far. I really want to do this right!
Old 03-11-2013, 11:01 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Remove the silicone along the joints don't remove we're the glass overlaps (between the peices of glass) the frame will keep it together.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #9

As promised here's some pics of tank... It looks much better than in these pics after the vinegar soaking this weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4411.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	158715   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4412.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	158716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4413.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	198.7 KB
ID:	158717   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4415.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	158718  

Old 03-12-2013, 08:09 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

The tank will be ok just dont move it once the old silicone is removed the glass is glued you dont want flex it and break the seal. I do the bottom 1st then the corners then the overflows last, you'll have plenty of time before the silicone sets so you dont need rush it.

Tags
75g, ick, sick

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com