Making a tank reef ready

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ConanTheLibraia

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I would like to make my 10 gallon "reef ready" so I can get a sump without a hang on overflow. Where can I go to get it drilled, and how do I install an overflow? I have no idea how to do this so any help would greatly be appreciated.

Most people will have the tank drilled in a back corner. You can buy prefab internal overflows although I don't know if you can get one the right size for a 10g. You could make it from acrylic and silicone it in...be warned that silicone doesn't stick to acrylic very well. In a tank that size, you might cut a piece of 3-4" PVC longways so that it fit from corner to corner. Then cut the weir in the top and silicone it in. Or...you can just use a standpipe. You'll need a screen around the standpipe intake though or (yeah, been there...done it already :oops: ) a snail or hermit will get in it and stop it up. This will result in a wet floor.

if you look in the yellow pages you may find someone to drill it took my 30l for ref in and got it drilled for sump only took one day at the glass shop.

thanks logan, its glass. My dad has a bunch of tools but i dont want to leave it to chance cause its probably really easy to screw up, and i have a real knack for that. is there a place i could bring it to where they would know how to drill tanks to be reef ready? cause i would be telling them how i wanted the job done, and i dont even know how its done myself.

One thing you need to be aware of is that the smaller the tank, the thinner the glass. It is much easier for them to drill bigger tanks. Most wont attempt it with any type of guarantee.

anything that uses a U tube will be good.

A 10 gal really is gonna end up losing alot of space due to the overflow box inside the tank. There where plans on here about building a DIY overflow out of some specim containers. Might try a search and get those plans.

As alrmc4 mentioned calling around to some local glass shops that work in glass should turn up successful. As hara pointed out dont expect them to buy you a new tank if they crack it when they go to drill it. Most of the time it should be ok but there is always the chance.

I'd buy a brand new reef ready 10 gallon but I'm not even sure if there is such a thing.

I dont think they come this way out of the factory but I did see a guy on the net once selling them. But the prices where WAY to high. Like over a hundred for 1 10 gal reef ready system. At taht rate you could buy 10 and screw up 9 of them.

My guess is that having your tank drilled would be OK. If it cracked, it would just be a case of bad luck. You could always have a thicker piece of glass cut and drilled. Then silicone it in place of the thin glass that's in there now. You can cut the silicone with a razor blade and take the tank apart...or take the bottom glass out. Just a thought.

DIY

Well...I have a 10 gallon and I plan on building an acrylic, in-tank, skimmer/filter. The plans call for 10.5" square and 4" deep. It will take up a bit of room. I ordered 1/8" 12x12 sheets of acrylic from USPlastic.com for about $1.50 each. When I put it together (and make sure it works), I'll post the plans, procedure here.

You still doing this conan? I know you got that 55 so that might have your attention, who could blame you though?

Nah, the 10 gallon nano was just an idea I had to save money, but then I got a good deal on liverock, which I went for and that pretty much commited myself to doing the 55. A nano would be fun though, I might still do it, but I'm going to wait until I can get the 55 tank working without a hitch and then I'll be ready.

Back
Top Bottom