Making Saltwater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CanadianWaters

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a question about how to make saltwater and didn't know where else to put it so here goes.
Can I use API aquarium salt (commonly used to treat disease) so I can make saltwater? The reason I ask is because I temporarily need salt for a 2.5 gallon and don't want to buy a whole bag.

I dont think aquarium salt and marine salt mix are the same. If it doesnt have anything on it saying how to mix it to get a certain salinity, it is not for mixing saltwater.

I'm new to marine. But I'm PRETTY sure they aren't the same thing. The marine salt has minerals & buffers for marine not just make the salt content of the h2o higher like aquarium
salt does.

They are not the same thing. You can buy a box as small that will only make 10 gallons. And in case you need to do a water change or something, then you'll have some extra. I know instant ocean/reef crystals come in boxes that will make 10 gallons.

Alright thank you.
The reason I ask is only because I need to make a 2.5 gallon saltwater for my amano shrimp. If anyone (I'm guessing not too many since this a saltwater forum) know about breeding Amanos I have an unanswered thread goin on for a while now.
Thanks!

Alright thank you.
The reason I ask is only because I need to make a 2.5 gallon saltwater for my amano shrimp. If anyone (I'm guessing not too many since this a saltwater forum) know about breeding Amanos I have an unanswered thread goin on for a while now.
Thanks!

No, sorry. Good luck!

Most fish stores will sell ready mixed saltwater and you may even find advice about those Amano's

Back
Top Bottom