Making the jump from fresh to salt: 20-30 g fowlr

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don’t believe this will grow coral. Even when asked the seller says it’ll grow coralline...not the same thing.
I stick to either the par38 bulb or the taotronic black box.

It won't grow coral. Proper reef lighting is putting 150-200 par at 20" if I remember correctly. The cheap black box has done me well. 50 par is medium-low lighting on a planted tank so.....

Thanks for the feedback, I'm going to get the tank established for at least a few months before adding corals, so I will use these for now and upgrade when I'm looking to coral it up.

I power washed the base rock today and am hoping to pick up the tank tomorrow to start curing/cycling.

In the mean time, I have 3 large base rocks (40 lbs) and was playing around with aquascapes. Any opinions? A) stacked arch or B) separate piles?

Also, if I have live sand, will I need any live rock? How long will the rock take to become "live rock"?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20180729_193645.jpg
    20180729_193645.jpg
    181.8 KB · Views: 119
  • 20180729_193752.jpg
    20180729_193752.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 125
Well, I gave in and bought a 40 gallon breeder. I'll have to move the 20g frog tank, but that is ok :)

I figure it gives some extra room to get that orchid dottyback that keeps swimming up to me when I go to the store LOL. It also leaves a 24"x18" space to the side of the tank where maybe I can fashion some sort of refugium.

Edit: moved the frog tank out of the way tonight, a job in and of itself :)

I see so many recommendations for a sump, but there is no room under so I'm planning to do side-by-side refugium.

The plan would be to use a 20g high (same 16" height as a 40g) and raising it up 4", then adding a bulkhead to the top of 20g with a return into the 40g. With the water pumping from the 40 into the 20, the water level in the 20 should stay the same (only the level of the 40 would change) making it a good place to eventually add a skimmer. It also adds an additional 50% more water volume and would be used for growing chaeto.

Anyone see any issues with that setup?

Also, thinking more about potential stocking: 2x ocellaris clown, 1x orchid dottyback, maybe a pistol shrimp/goby combo and/or a sailifin blenny...

Thanks!

I just want to say that I appreciate everyone's great replies. There is so much conflicting information on-line (skimmer vs refugium, baffles vs no baffles, sand vs mud vs bare bottom, etc) regarding saltwater and reef tanks it can be tough for a beginner! It it's great to get specific feedback for the exact project :)

I have been contemplating this idea of a 20 gallon display side-by-side refugium (raised a few inches and would gravity feed into the 40), but am starting to wonder if that is really necessary for the bioload I'd have in a 40 gallon (2x clown, orchid dottback, goby, couple of shrimp and eventually corals).

Could I just get a Hydor Slim Skim Protein Skimmer and be ok w/o the refugium? It seems like they get good reviews from what I've read. I have a 1 gallon hob refugium (inexpensive) that I could grow some chaeto as well if needed, but not sure if that is enough for a 40 g). I'm ok doing the refugium if it is really needed, but I'm trying not to create a lot of extra work and unnecessary expenses.

Thanks!!
Scott

Would this be a horrible design for a side-by-side 20 g tall display refugium?

It would be a small space for a skimmer, but even the reef octopus classic 110 only requires 7", I could modify slightly based on skimmer size, but this design would hide the skimmer and macro in the back and refugium with cuc in the front (24x5" or so).

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Untitled.jpeg
    26.8 KB · Views: 118
I got a 20 tall for the sump, but thinking I will just do a single baffle to keep the skimmer level constant.

It will be a side by side sump with a eshopps nano overflow that goes straight from the 40 to the 20.

Thinking about getting the csa-301 skimmer ($99) if anyone has any feedback in it?

Got the ro di hooked up and cleaned 15 g of water... Tank filling starts tomorrow!

Thanks,
Scott20180811_180554.jpg

Can’t wait to see the progress
Thanks, me too :) The sand and rocks are in, dosed 1 ppm ammonium and now just waiting for it to cycle.. Ordered 20 additional pounds of sand and a koralia evo 750 gph to pair with the 550 gph I have in there now.

Just need to find a skimmer... Thinking about getting the csa-301

Attachments

• 20180812_173751.jpg
    20180812_173751.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 85
Been reading about skimmers for the last week, there are so many options. Ordered a csa-301, arriving Saturday.

Planning to get the overflow, return and skimmer up and running this weekend.

Added a koralia 800 gph to go with the 600 that is in there, but it may be too strong, it is blowing the sand around...

As the system cycles, the sand will get ‘sticky’ as it gets established with bacteria. This will help with it blowing around, but also keep adjusting them until the flow is how you like.

SCA-301 skimmer came today, added some water to the sump and started breaking it in. Not silent, but quiet enough.

Still haven't raised the level of the display to start the overflow, waiting for the tank to cycle. I did get it installed though - had to saw off part of the plastic overhang rim on both tanks to get it to fit. Probably should have sawed it prior to adding water as I am fishing out little pieces of plastic floating around. : D

Some minor frustrations with the eshopps overflow. 1. The hole for the side adjustment screw was drilled too tight (or the screw is too big), but it won't go in all the way. 2. Their manual says you have 48 hours after receiving it to report a missing item... I didn't even open it until a week after getting it! Fortunately everything was there.

I've been dosing ammonium and the nitrates are up to 5 ppm so the live sand is working.

Attachments

• 20180818_204111.jpg
    20180818_204111.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 75
Was on vacation but finally added some fish! 2 x clownfish and an orchid dottyback. The store also had some cleaner shrimp and a watchman goby so those will probably go in on a few weeks :)

Attachments

• 20180922_184020.jpg
    20180922_184020.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 58
  • 20180922_183829_HDR.jpg
    20180922_183829_HDR.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 63
I started dosing ammonium about 6 weeks ago and also had live sand... I dosed right before I went on vacation 2 weeks ago, was gone for a week and then dosed when I got back. It was cycled before I left, just didn't want to add fish and then leave. I added a little food as well. Then a big 90% water change a few days ago before adding the fish.

I have mushroom corals, green star polyps, and palys are growing pretty well in a 20 gallon. It's peak par performance is 47 and avg is 26ish. I also just added some zoas. Also keep us updated on the dottyback because I've heard they can be extremely aggressive sometimes. Those clowns are gorgeous by the way!

Back
Top Bottom