Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-31-2009, 11:28 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree, but I think that he should at least try and get the mandarin trained on brine. Just my view on things.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 05:20 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by thominil View Post
I agree, but I think that he should at least try and get the mandarin trained on brine. Just my view on things.
The thing is that this is rare in aquaria. Most of the time the fish won't eat the brine no matter what. Your right, he should try to train it on the brine or the pellet food if he can but he needs a copepod poulation no matter what. They can't live with out it. In other words there staple food should be the pods.

Old 09-01-2009, 05:51 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Etunes, it is not rare anymore IME. It is becoming easier and easier now as people find new ways to train them on brine. The spotted mandarins are the easiest to train on brine from what I have read. I have a female spotted mandarin and she took to eating brine right away. I have read many, many articles and threads on people getting their mandarins trained on brine. Many have done it, and I am one of them. I have a first hand experience with them and I know that it works. HTH.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:00 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

not trying to get all sucked up in the argument, but this is @thominil.

back before i took my mandarin back, he was eating brine, but still hunting for pods. i dont have the experiance or anything to say either way, but IME, they took the brine as soon as it was offered. no training or anything, just, "here is some brine little guy" to which he responded, "YAY" and proceeded to feast.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:04 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4t4StRoPhIc View Post
not trying to get all sucked up in the argument, but this is @thominil.

back before i took my mandarin back, he was eating brine, but still hunting for pods. i dont have the experiance or anything to say either way, but IME, they took the brine as soon as it was offered. no training or anything, just, "here is some brine little guy" to which he responded, "YAY" and proceeded to feast.

You are right, they still will hunt for pods, but IMO a pod population is not needed. Many of them DO need to be trained to brine, they may not take brine right away.

I'm going to back down out of this as I have looked over my previous posts and I'm starting to get just a little "into it" and am starting to sound like a jerk. I'm sorry on my part and I never intended to go that way.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

right, im not saying that they are all like that, just adding my 2% to the conversation.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:19 PM   #17
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Go to the LFS and get him to feed the tank and see if the mandarin will feed. I`ve seen some eat and some starve to death so make sure you see it eat before you get it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 06:44 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am not going to get into this but you are probaly right. I have 0 experience when it comes to SW. So i am not going to really be able to hold up my side very well. But from what i have read and seen they do better with a good population of copepods. I am sorry if i sounded like a jerk as well, so i am just gonna say to who ever started this thread, I would have a population of copepods as back up just in case but do that thom said.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:49 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Activist

thats the whole reason i took my mandarin back was because people said he would starve without copepods, and they will if they dont accept brine. but mine did and i just didnt want him to die so i took him back and now he is in a really amazing 300 gal tank. (the guy lets me visit to look at it every now and again.)

but his main food now is brine and he snacks on pods. its all just a crapshoot when it comes to this, its the luck of the draw.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4t4StRoPhIc View Post
thats the whole reason i took my mandarin back was because people said he would starve without copepods, and they will if they dont accept brine. but mine did and i just didnt want him to die so i took him back and now he is in a really amazing 300 gal tank. (the guy lets me visit to look at it every now and again.)

but his main food now is brine and he snacks on pods. its all just a crapshoot when it comes to this, its the luck of the draw.
Where do you live? I was waiting for one of my LFS to get a mandarin and some guy bought the 1 he had before (which was there last 1 at the time) and he ended up returning it and it went into a 300g tank they have.

Tags
compatibility, mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com