mandarin goby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pluk1992

Aquarium Advice Activist
yeah got a goby today and i have had bad luck with these in the past before i knew what they had to have to survive any way just put it in the tank and some of the water from the pet stores system poured into my tank maybe half a cup and when it did it was like someone pured corn oil into it do mandarine gobys put of some sort of toxin when they become stressed out

They have a strong slime coating that surrounds them and prevents most diseases and parasites from getting to them, it may have been that. It could of shedded it.

I've also heard that sometimes the produce some sort of substance from either they're skin or the little spine on they're dorsal fins.

Really can't say what it exactly is..could be one of those or just the tank water was bad from the stores tank. Just don't add the water from the bag again.

Hope you have good luck with the mandarin! Keep checking on those copepods...

Did you verify salinity and temp matched before adding it? Could have been a difference in salinity or temp that you noticed.

They do have a good slime coat and are parasite resistant which is why QT is not required, but I doubt this would have caused what you observed.

I think it was the difference in salinity. Whenever I top off my tank with spring water I see it also.

You may have not acclimated it from the sound of it. You may want to drip acclimate the fish so that you don't have to deal with fish store tank water. I could only imagine how dirty that water is from the store. Good luck and please do share a pic or two of your new tennant!

if the salinity difference was that large, it definitely was added to the tank too fast. Please read up on the drip acclimation method which should be used for ALL tank additions.

Back
Top Bottom