Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-20-2008, 08:18 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Newbie
You are right, it's a lot to do. I guess I'm lucky in that it's all quite fascinating. I even bought a microscope so that I could see what things look like up close. The other day I found a see cucumber in my tank. It came in on some plant. I can't believe the incredible diversity I'm getting in all my tanks! I have worms, feather dusters, and I never know what else. Last night I was doing my middle of the night checks to see how many pods were on the glass after lights out. I found this critter that I've been watching during the day. It looks like a pineapple sponge. But it's soft and I didn't think that's what it is. Well at night in the dark it uncoils and becomes a long string-like worm that catches food in the water column similar to the way a tube worm throws out a net.

I am also very laid back about everything else. All my tanks are nano tanks. I don't do any special dosing of any kind. I go through 5 gallons of water daily that I use to do small changes in all my tanks. I use water change water for my brine shrimp tank cleaning. I don't have any sumps or fuges and in essence that's what my separate tanks are. But I don't have the space or time or expertise to connect all these tanks. For the display tanks I use simple HOB filters and fill them with a variety of filter media. I guess I'm still experimenting but don't really know how to tell which is better.

I don't run any skimmers which is another reason for doing constant water changes. I feed heavy but I have good clean up crews. My tanks are healthy and my critters are too. Believe it or not I really think the way I do things is rather simple. It only takes me about an hour per day to do my chores and I do them like breathing. The rest of the day I can hardly tear myself away from watching them.

suzimcmullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 08:58 AM   #12
Thanx but no.....

It sounds like you've greatly simplified what many of us may over complicate. Congrats. I'm betting it won't be long until those tank sizes start to grow instead of multiply !!

CaptainAhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Daily PWC's can maintain water quality. It is that simple. Not wanting to do a 10% daily water change on a 125 gallon tank is what leads us to LR, DSB, PS, and sumps filled with macro algae. For me the chore is a couple of hours every other weekend with wiping the glass with a magnet cleaner every day (2 minutes). Oh, I also feed every 2 - 3 days.

Glad to hear you are enjoying your tanks. That's the fun part of this hobby.

cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote

copepod, goby, mandarin, mandarin goby

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com