Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2011, 12:16 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

That's good news, my mandy is a plump little thing. She even has a little beer belly. lol Glad so far I'm on the right track.

I just ordered an iPod, will these apps be available to me on that or is it just iphone and Ipad?

Old 12-14-2011, 12:23 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Regular

You can get the Coral Magazine app on iPod touch, friend of mine just did.

Old 12-14-2011, 01:46 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

That really is a great article. I'm going to tell my friend about it. He really wants a mandarin and is committed to keeping one alive. I on the other hand, am not as committed to it so I will probably never get a mandarin haha
Old 12-14-2011, 01:55 PM   #94
AA Team Emeritus

Carey, if it's fat it's doing ok. Did you get an ORA that feeds on prepared food?

The articles have some great points. My take away is still a cautionary tale. Unless you have time to devote to breeding brine, then pods to wean a wild caught onto to frozen it is doomed.

Despite the author's claims I have seen quite a few posts about mandarins that were eating prepared foods and then suddenly stopped. The author spends a lot of time on his fish. Way more than the average fish keeper does. So although I believe it is possible, most folks (including me) do not have the time to devote to keeping one alive unless unless it's in a large tank with lots of LR and pods.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 03:00 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d
Carey, if it's fat it's doing ok. Did you get an ORA that feeds on prepared food?

The articles have some great points. My take away is still a cautionary tale. Unless you have time to devote to breeding brine, then pods to wean a wild caught onto to frozen it is doomed.

Despite the author's claims I have seen quite a few posts about mandarins that were eating prepared foods and then suddenly stopped. The author spends a lot of time on his fish. Way more than the average fish keeper does. So although I believe it is possible, most folks (including me) do not have the time to devote to keeping one alive unless unless it's in a large tank with lots of LR and pods.
I agree with your post. This fish CAN be kept alive, but only thru dedication. A reef tank is worse than raising a child, the reef tank never grows up and leaves your care! As a previous post said, it just takes a small lapse of dedication to kill off this fish. Too many other fish that can sustain themselves better. I still do not recommend anyone keeping Dragonettes.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:04 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Regular

I agree with your post. This fish CAN be kept alive, but only thru dedication. A reef tank is worse than raising a child, the reef tank never grows up and leaves your care! As a previous post said, it just takes a small lapse of dedication to kill off this fish. Too many other fish that can sustain themselves better. I still do not recommend anyone keeping Dragonettes.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a bit extreme, in any hobby from skydiving to animal collection it's fun to get to the higher levels of complexity. It's what keeps some of us hobbyists intrigued. With that said their is a lvl of responsibility, one does not base jump before ever going tandem. I want many complex critters including Dragonettes but am prepared to wait, research, & plan.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:53 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yep, I got an ORA one but she didnt eat pellets or prepared when i first got her. took about a month of constant feeding of many different foods to get her to start. Her favorites now are bloodworms and mysis.

Still a challenge, and the fact that she could suddenly stop eating frozen really worries me. But for now, after a few months she seems to be doing well. The scooter is also doing really well, he's a little fattie too. lol
Old 12-15-2011, 02:02 AM   #98
Aquarium Advice Regular

Anyone have an easier suggestion for a fish that'll occupy my sandbed or bottom of tank that I can research. Need reef safe.
Old 12-15-2011, 02:28 AM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yellow watchman goby, orange striped prawn goby, yellow head jawfish, yasha goby? Good options...
Old 12-15-2011, 04:17 AM   #100
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks, definitely gonna read up more on a yasha goby/pistol pair.....one day I'll have that mandarin tank.

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com