Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-06-2012, 06:10 PM   #171
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Everybody to their own poison. Yes, there are major advantages sometimes on the Internet, but the day your local LFS closes shop, like so many have done here in the Midwest, you will start feeling pretty lonely.

Old 02-06-2012, 06:15 PM   #172
Aquarium Advice Activist

I agree 100 percent if it was not for my lfs I would not have my tank !!

Old 02-06-2012, 08:00 PM   #173
Aquarium Advice Addict

That's my point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregcoyote View Post
Everybody to their own poison. Yes, there are major advantages sometimes on the Internet, but the day your local LFS closes shop, like so many have done here in the Midwest, you will start feeling pretty lonely.
That's exactly my point.

I recently was down South in Miami and went to my friend's store to pick up some medication because I had a fish that needed IMMEDIATE attention. (My local stores don't carry the item.)When he didn't have the med I was looking for, (which in itself was a shocker because he stocks everything) I went to 5 other stores over a 25 mile radius before I had to settle on another med which I had very little hope of success with. (Turned out, I was right. The fish died.) Those other stores all suggested I get it from the internet because they couldn't compete on the price.
My point was that if you only buy from the internet, the local pet stores will vanish. If they do, the customer is going to lose out at some point. In my case, there was no time to wait for a shipment and I lost 1 fish. What happens when the same scenario costs you a whole tank??

As for replacement gaurantees, most good stores will work with you as a loyal customer no matter what a sign says. (We had a sign in our store that said that we charged a $10.00 fee for putting up with a customer's nonsense. We never charged it but got a lot of nonsense from people.) I've yet to see a successful store that did not reward customer loyalty.

As I said, I can see both sides of the coin. I need to save money just like everybody else. If my fish don't support themselves through breeding them , they don't eat. I wouldn't be able to keep fish if there were no LFS to sell my fish to. That would be a sad ending to a hobby I've participated in for over 45 years.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:49 PM   #174
Aquarium Advice Addict

an online store better do it, thats alot of stress on the fish alot less then buying from your local store
Old 02-07-2012, 01:56 AM   #175
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Still no substitute for seeing the fish and watching it eat, or actually seeing the coral deployed and it true color, rather than seeing a stock photo and waiting for UPS. My LFS is my QT facility.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:00 AM   #176
AA Team Emeritus

Andy, well said in your previous posts.
The great lfs that went out of business only sold fish and corals, very little dry goods.
One of the the lfs is a general pet store, and I must admit since they aligned with a local reef club they have become MUCH BETTER. I used to chase people in the parking lot to correct the bad information they had been given. That no longer happens. They generally offer good advice these days and their livestock appears much healthier. I rarely see dead fish in a tank these days, so I guess they can turn around.
cmor1701d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 02:47 PM   #177
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmor1701d View Post
Andy, well said in your previous posts.
The great lfs that went out of business only sold fish and corals, very little dry goods.
One of the the lfs is a general pet store, and I must admit since they aligned with a local reef club they have become MUCH BETTER. I used to chase people in the parking lot to correct the bad information they had been given. That no longer happens. They generally offer good advice these days and their livestock appears much healthier. I rarely see dead fish in a tank these days, so I guess they can turn around.
I've just been around the industry too long and know the good and the bad. I've spent a lot of time myself correcting misinformation. EXPERIENCE is the best teacher.
For a time, our store was 1 of about 6 stores in a 50 mile radius that the top hobbyists would go to because we all offered the more exotic animals and all had a better understanding of what the hobbyist and the fish required. We were all in competition with each other which made us work a bit harder to offer a better product. The truth is that some of those other stores didn't start out so great but ended up much better. The reason I know this is because they were ALL my wholesale customers at one point or another. I had exposed them to new things and new ways and they just picked up and carried the ball. Some of those stores are still around some 30 years later. There's a reason for that.

I just hope the hobby doesn't fall victim to stupidity and greed. It's a great way for people to learn responsibility, caring, genetics, health and environmental issues. All these things are important to the world as we know it.

I'd write more but it's time to do some water changes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM   #178
Aquarium Advice Addict

????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
an online store better do it, thats alot of stress on the fish alot less then buying from your local store
I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. Can you please elaborate?
Old 02-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #179
Aquarium Advice Addict

shipping from an online store is more stressful, it usually takes longer, conditions in the bag get dirty, temps change. the box gets tossed around.

where as a 30 minute drive from your LFS is just that 30 minutes drive then the acclimation process and its over.
Old 02-07-2012, 08:41 PM   #180
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gotcha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gti_Leo View Post
shipping from an online store is more stressful, it usually takes longer, conditions in the bag get dirty, temps change. the box gets tossed around.

where as a 30 minute drive from your LFS is just that 30 minutes drive then the acclimation process and its over.
Thanks for the clarification. I agree whole hardedly

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com