Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-05-2012, 07:14 PM   #211
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hate when that happens :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
Sorry for the spot on the pic I forgot to clean the glass before I took this picture.
I hate when that happens. I've had more great shots of my fish ruined by a spot on the glass
Here's an idea for feeding, take some other form of food, for example frozen prawn or zooplankton, and chop or blend it until it is in small pieces (small enough to fit in it's mouth) then mix with some water and use a turkey baster to get the food close to the fish and see if it eats it. (Obviously you don't want to scare the fish when you plunge the food into the water. Make it look natural )

I've basted a number of fish over the years. Just make sure you clean out the bulb of the baster when you are done.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:17 PM   #212
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Mine past away two days after I bought it.

Old 03-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #213
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sounds like...

Quote:
Mine past away two days after I bought it.

It probably wasn't healthy when you bought it or you aclimated it too fast. That's assuming that your tank was in perfect conditions when you got the fish. Healthy, well aclimated fish that go into good functioning tanks don't die that fast.
Sorry for your lose
Old 03-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #214
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I floated the bag for 30 minutes and was slowly putting water into the bag and hadeft the room the bag had went down into the tank before I could finish acclimating him. How long was he suppose to have been acclimated for?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:05 PM   #215
Aquarium Advice Addict

Acclimation

Quote:
I floated the bag for 30 minutes and was slowly putting water into the bag and hadeft the room the bag had went down into the tank before I could finish acclimating him. How long was he suppose to have been acclimated for?

I am sure that there will be a number of people who disagree with me about this but bag acclimating SW fish is not the proper way of acclimating. The reason you float a bag of fish is to get the water temp in the bag to match the water temp in the tank. I have always preferred to do a bucket acclimation with an airstone and slow drip. The amount of time is dependant on the volume of water you start with. I use the 1 drop per second method from the drip line. When completed, the water volume should be 99 parts your water,1 part water the fish came from. However long it takes. Sounds like yours was an aclimation issue provided that the water parameters in your tank were good.
You have to remember, fish can live in a bad system if they have had the time to gradually adjust to it. New fish, on the other hand, can't or actually, won't.
I'm sure you will find some good articles on this site about acclimating fish or in the magazines.
Hope this helps a bit
Old 03-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #216
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yes thank you I have done the bucket acclimattion but I would put about one cup of water in there every ten to fifteen minutes for about 45 to 1 hr. Well if I should ever try another and that is a big if I will use the bucket again.
Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM   #217
Aquarium Advice Addict

Part 2

Quote:
Yes thank you I have done the bucket acclimattion but I would put about one cup of water in there every ten to fifteen minutes for about 45 to 1 hr. Well if I should ever try another and that is a big if I will use the bucket again.

The acclimation method you discribe is not really a slow acclimation. You force a lot of water at one time. The drip system does it much more slowly. Try dripping next time, also it should be done for all your fish, not just mandrins.
Hope this helps
Old 03-11-2012, 10:51 PM   #218
Aquarium Advice Addict

Tank of the Month Award

Use the drip method mentioned and take at least an hour or even two to complete the process. Taking time here really can make a difference.
Old 03-22-2012, 10:39 PM   #219
Aquarium Advice Regular

Not Really.

I personally think that the Mandarins aren't as difficult as they are made out to be. I got a green mandarin when my 28g nano was about 3-4 months old, way before the recommended time to get them. I supplied it with a pack of copepods and supplied my sixline wrasse with cyclopleeze, so the wrasse wouldn't eat so many copepods. Since then, everything has been absolutely great. Once again, I strongly disagree with the complaints of their hard keeping.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:47 PM   #220
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks for sharing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easton33 View Post
I personally think that the Mandarins aren't as difficult as they are made out to be. I got a green mandarin when my 28g nano was about 3-4 months old, way before the recommended time to get them. I supplied it with a pack of copepods and supplied my sixline wrasse with cyclopleeze, so the wrasse wouldn't eat so many copepods. Since then, everything has been absolutely great. Once again, I strongly disagree with the complaints of their hard keeping.
I knew I couldn't be the only one who had some success with this fish
The next big challenge, Juvenile Pinnatus Batfish?

Tags
mandarin

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com