Mandarins, are they really a difficult fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it's the newest issue, also if u have an iPhone u get all the coral magazines free & quicker threw their free app. I u don't have an iPhone u can still buy the issue thow

Is that App only for IPhone's or can other smartphones get that app?
I hope I can find that magainze when I get off work sure do want to read that article

I would hope they have the app across the smartphone board but I can only speak 4 the iPhone, u'll have to check ur app store, I just searched "Coral Magazine" in my app store....also I just left my LFS, beefing up my CUC again, & they had it the issue for sale at counter by check out. Hope urs has it b/c just like most their articles it's a good one & a couple beautiful pics.

Interesting articles. IF you have the time to follow the author's routine, you may be successful in a smaller tank. I can only point to the numerous threads posted here about mandarins dying within months in smaller tanks. True, the owners did NOT follow the instructions, but even those that tried had problems. On the other hand, in my 125 started with 180 pounds of uncured LR there was no way I could get a mandarin to eat anything but live pods. They were plentiful and I only saw my mandarin every few days when it came back out from the rocks to forage for a bit out in plain site. Definitely the mos interesting fish to watch feed as it moved from spot to spot hunting and feeding.
I lost my mandarin last year after 6 years due to my lackof tank maintenance.

I cant download the article....are there any high points that I should know about? I've had my mandarin and scooter in my tank for months and I'm curious if I'm doing the right things. lol My mandarin is quite fat and happy by the way, at least right now....

Thanks for any help you guys can give me, I wish i had a stupid iphone!

Lots of good points, I suppose that one of the major things I took away from it is that a healthy mandarin has the body shape of a "little plump sausage" ....... Love my iPhone, it's my 1st addiction with my saltwater aquarium coming in close 2nd

That's good news, my mandy is a plump little thing. She even has a little beer belly. lol Glad so far I'm on the right track.

I just ordered an iPod, will these apps be available to me on that or is it just iphone and Ipad?

You can get the Coral Magazine app on iPod touch, friend of mine just did.

That really is a great article. I'm going to tell my friend about it. He really wants a mandarin and is committed to keeping one alive. I on the other hand, am not as committed to it so I will probably never get a mandarin haha

Carey, if it's fat it's doing ok. Did you get an ORA that feeds on prepared food?

The articles have some great points. My take away is still a cautionary tale. Unless you have time to devote to breeding brine, then pods to wean a wild caught onto to frozen it is doomed.

Despite the author's claims I have seen quite a few posts about mandarins that were eating prepared foods and then suddenly stopped. The author spends a lot of time on his fish. Way more than the average fish keeper does. So although I believe it is possible, most folks (including me) do not have the time to devote to keeping one alive unless unless it's in a large tank with lots of LR and pods.

cmor1701d said:
Carey, if it's fat it's doing ok. Did you get an ORA that feeds on prepared food?

The articles have some great points. My take away is still a cautionary tale. Unless you have time to devote to breeding brine, then pods to wean a wild caught onto to frozen it is doomed.

Despite the author's claims I have seen quite a few posts about mandarins that were eating prepared foods and then suddenly stopped. The author spends a lot of time on his fish. Way more than the average fish keeper does. So although I believe it is possible, most folks (including me) do not have the time to devote to keeping one alive unless unless it's in a large tank with lots of LR and pods.

I agree with your post. This fish CAN be kept alive, but only thru dedication. A reef tank is worse than raising a child, the reef tank never grows up and leaves your care! As a previous post said, it just takes a small lapse of dedication to kill off this fish. Too many other fish that can sustain themselves better. I still do not recommend anyone keeping Dragonettes.

I agree with your post. This fish CAN be kept alive, but only thru dedication. A reef tank is worse than raising a child, the reef tank never grows up and leaves your care! As a previous post said, it just takes a small lapse of dedication to kill off this fish. Too many other fish that can sustain themselves better. I still do not recommend anyone keeping Dragonettes.[/QUOTE]

I think that's a bit extreme, in any hobby from skydiving to animal collection it's fun to get to the higher levels of complexity. It's what keeps some of us hobbyists intrigued. With that said their is a lvl of responsibility, one does not base jump before ever going tandem. I want many complex critters including Dragonettes but am prepared to wait, research, & plan.

Yep, I got an ORA one but she didnt eat pellets or prepared when i first got her. took about a month of constant feeding of many different foods to get her to start. Her favorites now are bloodworms and mysis. :-D

Still a challenge, and the fact that she could suddenly stop eating frozen really worries me. But for now, after a few months she seems to be doing well. The scooter is also doing really well, he's a little fattie too. lol

Anyone have an easier suggestion for a fish that'll occupy my sandbed or bottom of tank that I can research. Need reef safe.

Yellow watchman goby, orange striped prawn goby, yellow head jawfish, yasha goby? Good options...

Thanks, definitely gonna read up more on a yasha goby/pistol pair.....one day I'll have that mandarin tank.

Back
Top Bottom