Mangrove plant question..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deanp88

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am new to salt tanks and I have a quick question. I have done some research on the benefits of the Mangrove plant but I have not been able to determine if the plant is to be totally under water or just the root system. Can they be added to the main tank or do they need to go in the wet/dry tank? Thanks

I've seen that light grid stuff used to hold the plant out of the water so that the roots only are submerged. I do belive that only the roots should be underwater.

I've seen that light grid stuff used to hold the plant out of the water so that the roots only are submerged. I do belive that only the roots should be underwater.
if im not mistaken, thincat has some pictures of his on his tank, and only the bottom part of the plant is submerged... i think its thincat anyways

Here it is.
img_1052813_0_8011b9d4e81e3c07b18fd05f4e6482de.jpg

I"ve had them for a little over two years. IMO they grow to slow to be of any great benefit. And yes only the roots and a little of the stem are under water. You should spray the leaves with fresh water at least once a week and turn the plant a quarter turn once a week also so that the roots don't do any damage. To export nitrates you have to pluck off all but two or three leaves.

So, for a 125 gallon, how many would it take to be of any use? I would have to put them down below and I guess would need a light. Are they more trouble than they are worth?

No, in a dedicated area of your sump you could run it on reverse lighting and that would help your PH also. I have 6 or 7 in my 84g so double that would be a good start. Just be sure to spray them with fresh water a couple times a week. I supplement lights with a 14w 50/50 bulb from the DR's.
My nitrates are at 0 but I believe that my DSB is more the reason then the magroves. Although every little bit helps.

Back
Top Bottom