Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 01-20-2008, 07:53 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
Mangrove Plants for Reef Aquarium

I was doing some research about mangrove plants for the reef aquarium adding the benefit of Nitrate reduction to increase the health of my aquarium. I don't have a sump yet idea still up in the air. In the mean time I was thinking why not buy a plant and keep it in the main tank until I get a sump. I figure a plant could look nice even as long as it doesn't get out of control. I am looking for some good articles on Plants in the Reef aquarium if anybody knows of any. And I am wondering if there is a species of Mangrove that I could put in the main display. Chaeto seems to be the popular one for the sump but it looks like grass. What about the shaving brush plant or red mangrove. Any thoughts about this subject would be beneficial to me.

120G Oscar tank in progress
fijiwigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 03:30 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
There is an interesting article I read about them I have some in my sump I guess you could keep them in the main tank but they have to be only partly submerged in water.

Read this and see if that helps you out

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:43 AM   #3
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
Great article Allen. There`s just not too many SW plants out there. As far as the nitrates frequent PWC`s will accomplish the same thing. Have you ever considered a denitraitor?
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

plant, plants, reef, reef aquarium

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com